Sign in to follow this  
Tjaden2

Kicker cvx 15

Recently this weekend me and my friend traded cars becasue mine gets better mileage. he has my old subs in them and this weekend the amp started going into protect mode. this happens on any note lows or highs. my friend says its happened to him before on only one song. but the amp does not get hot it is not clipping or distorted as im running them at maybe 800 to 1000 watts. when i go back to listen to them one sub sounds like it pops then the amp goes into protect. what could that sound be? the song i was playing this weekend was rack city a lot because of its good bass (in my opinion). could i have possibly have torn the spider or the tinsel leads? when i push on sub it moves freely, no sound at all such as scratching rubbing. or could it be possible that his cars electric system isnt keeping up because of how old it is? (although i figure this would have happened a long time ago if it couldnt hold voltage). Also hes had them for about 3 months in his 95 GMC Jimmy

Start simple. Unhook the subs and play the stereo....see if the problem persists.

If it doesn't, then it's either a problem with the subs or a problem with the amp when driving a load.

Measure the coils of the subs with a DMM to verify they are all good.

What amplifier? How is everything set? What HU? What settings does the HU have and how are they set?

Upon further inspection i took the one sub out and the terminal for the negative was coming disconnected from the spider so when itd bounce it would short the amp out to protect them. also sony HU, Audiopipe 1500.1 and the gain on the amp isnt even at a quarter. thanks for your help now i just gotta get that terminal reattached