Sign in to follow this  
JimJ

Wireless card recommendations

Hey all -

I'm looking for a wireless card that's reasonably priced that has an external antenna connector - I've got a 60cm dish doing nothing that would make a perfect Wifi link to the campus network, if I built a patch feed for it.

All the cards I've seen that do this and fit in laptops are over $100, anything cheaper out there? :)

Thanks.

Brilliant *gulps down a guinneas*

I assume you've looked into a USB one?

Yeah...

Think I've found one that'll work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Senao-Wireless-Laptop-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ran the numbers, even with 50 feet of coaxial cable before the antenna, I'll only have a 3dB drop in signal level - and because the antenna should have 28dBi or so of gain, I should have a solid link to campus...it's only a few air miles. I'm on the third floor, so I have a nice LOS all around :)

Glad you found something, I started a search to help but got severly distracted by an empty stomach. Makes me wish I lived closer to a city...oh, yah that's right I forgot I can use my neighbors wireless network anytime I want.

Yeah...

Think I've found one that'll work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Senao-Wireless-Laptop-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ran the numbers, even with 50 feet of coaxial cable before the antenna, I'll only have a 3dB drop in signal level - and because the antenna should have 28dBi or so of gain, I should have a solid link to campus...it's only a few air miles. I'm on the third floor, so I have a nice LOS all around :)

depending on which level my apartment for next year is on, we may be talking

only about 1.5 miles to campus for me

Not too far off topic, any thoughts on cheap antennas so I can move my Sirius receiver from car to truck?

It's only a Wireless B card, though ...

It's only a Wireless B card, though ...

I can't seem to find anything that supports G and fits the requirements...

Unfortunately, nothing in that link will work. Thanks anyway though...if I had a desktop, this wouldn't even be worthy of a question. Finding reasonably high power with an external antenna connection in a PCMCIA layout, however, isn't easy...