Sign in to follow this  
tmac93

dodge charger sub boxx

i recently bought the ssa icon 18'' and and ive been through all kind of boxes with my charger and seems like it is nothing but a bass sponge back there. so i was wondering about this in my new build, i plan on sealing the box off from the trunk in maybe a 5 or 6cuft sealed box, ive tried ported but im just not getting the results i want, which previously it sounded better sealed. so basiclly all im asking is do u think a sealed box for this 18'' will sound good sealed of from the trunk? any help is appreciated.

Yeah it will sound better sealed vs ported because trunk cars dont have enough room to throw an 18" ported sub enclosure in them. Should of went with a 15" if you want a ported enclosure.

yeah i know, i went to big. im not that worried about ported, im just wondering how it will sound in a sealed box firing through backseat area.

exactly like this but sealed.

14kd5ba.jpg

Edited by tmac93

Should do "ok" for the most part.

In a situation like this, it is more of "trial and error" situation to be honest.

In a situation like this, it is more of "trial and error" situation to be honest.

ok, im just really hoping this works out. ive tryed with ported enclosures but im just not having luck lol. i dont have much expierence with ported and every single one ive ever built sounded like shit. and now with my charger im mind fucked with trying to solve my problem. i went to big with the 18'' but i think i can make it work out (one day) eventually. Just recently i had a 6cuft box with an 8'' pvc tuned to 33hz half internal half external shooting thru the left rear seat. but of course once again SHITTY.

ok, im just really hoping this works out. ive tryed with ported enclosures but im just not having luck lol. i dont have much expierence with ported and every single one ive ever built sounded like shit. and now with my charger im mind fucked with trying to solve my problem. i went to big with the 18'' but i think i can make it work out (one day) eventually. Just recently i had a 6cuft box with an 8'' pvc tuned to 33hz half internal half external shooting thru the left rear seat. but of course once again SHITTY.

And this one is gonna turn out just as horrible. You can't expect to cram 10lbs in a 5lb bag and have everything turn out wonderful.

Bigger ins't always better!

alright, well honest opinion whats the best sub i can get for no more than $300. for a daily driver, but also able to get loud.

Like you said it's hard to get sound into the cabin. Those cars have pretty thick seats. To get the most potential you will want to have your seats lowered.

As far as the quality of sound is concerned in a properly built ported or sealed box you aren't going to be able to tell the difference.

To gain maximum output you will want to face the sub(s) forward. And use the maximum amount of port as possible. Regaurdless of what people will tell you using proper port area will give you a noticeable difference in output. This has been tested and proven by some the best transducer designers in the industry.

The first thing you need to do first is get some cardboard and make the biggest box you can physically slide into your trunk. This way you will know exactly what you have to work with.