Sign in to follow this  
cmw5e

lights dimming and blinking on only 850 watts?

ok i have my big 3 done with kicker hyper flex and a kinetik hc1400 in the back. i used to run a us amps md2d wired to 1.33 ohms and never had any problems at all with the lights dimming. now i have my precision power 850.1 running a sundown sa and i noticed when i was in town other night , that at higher volumes my lights blinked a little but nothing too major. i just thought this was weird because the md2d never caused this. i have 4 gauge ran to the amp.. i have the gain set a little over 1/4. its running at 1 ohm. ssf set to about 30 and lpf somewhere around 80. bass boost on the amp and head unit off. any suggestions on how to stop this besides gettin a new alternator?

Edited by cmw5e

1/0 ga wire and good grounds.

everything is 1/0 besides the feed going from the back battery to the amp, because with this little amp my 4 gauge i have barely fit in. ill check the grounds though

Yeah check the grounds. For some reason those trucks electrical sucks. My friend 97 F150 only has a 1000 watt amp and his lights dim like crazy!

If the grounds are ok I wouldnt worry too much about it till you upgrade and make more power. Then I would do a alt.

i love the sound of the sa so im planning on adding another one soon and getting a better amp. it just baffles me that the other amp was 1500 watts at 1 ohm running at 1.33 didnt blink a bit and it only had the same 4 gauge wires going to it. oh well ill check the grounds whenever all this dang snow stops and if i cant find anything oh well. it was only at very high volumes so it doesnt really bother me too much. still annoying though