Sign in to follow this  
abianca99

Icon

What do you guys think would be a better choice. 1 SSA Icon 10" ported, or, 1 SSA Icon 12" sealed?

I'm assuming this is due to space restrictions? Better will depend on what your goals are, so let us know what you are looking for.

Yes I have space restrictions. I'm wanting to build a box behind the rear bench seat of my ford super duty crew cab. The depth is pretty limited. My maximum space I have to work with is 52" wide, 17.75" high, 9" bottom depth, 3.75" top depth. The depth is from my back wall to the fabric on the rear of my bench seat. I do have the option of moving my seat forward up to 4", but I would much rather leave it in its stock location if I can. So, right now, I guess I should take a step back and figure out what subs I can actually use in my application. I'm really trying to avoid using an all out shallow sub as I just don't like the way they sound, from what I've heard. I would like to find a quality ""SQL"" type sub that has the ability to grab strong lows. I listen to all types of music, but mainly hip hop. My plan was to build a sealed box first and see what I think. Then, if I want more output, build a ported box in the future. Is it possible to build a proper ported box with my dimensions? The only shallow sub I have found so far that has my interest is the Sundown Sd2 and Polk MM series. My friend has a Polk MM that sounds pretty decent but doesn't have strong lows like I like. So right now I'm just looking for subs that will work with my depth restrictions, but still give me the sound I'm looking for. Any advice on subs will be appreciated. Thanks

Yes I have space restrictions. I'm wanting to build a box behind the rear bench seat of my ford super duty crew cab. The depth is pretty limited. My maximum space I have to work with is 52" wide, 17.75" high, 9" bottom depth, 3.75" top depth. The depth is from my back wall to the fabric on the rear of my bench seat. I do have the option of moving my seat forward up to 4", but I would much rather leave it in its stock location if I can. So, right now, I guess I should take a step back and figure out what subs I can actually use in my application. I'm really trying to avoid using an all out shallow sub as I just don't like the way they sound, from what I've heard. I would like to find a quality "SQL" type sub that has the ability to grab strong lows. I listen to all types of music, but mainly hip hop. My plan was to build a sealed box first and see what I think. Then, if I want more output, build a ported box in the future. Is it possible to build a proper ported box with my dimensions? The only shallow sub I have found so far that has my interest is the Sundown Sd2 and Polk MM series. My friend has a Polk MM that sounds pretty decent but doesn't have strong lows like I like. So right now I'm just looking for subs that will work with my depth restrictions, but still give me the sound I'm looking for. Any advice on subs will be appreciated. Thanks

The Icon would be too deep. The mounting depth on it is 6.5" and you have only 8.25" max at the bottom and will be at quite a steep angle which would limit depth more especially with the size of the magnet on the Icon. And your options for porting wouldn't be that great because of the top depth would limit you to 2" max round ports (which a couple would maybe be adequate , Other option would be to port out of the side of the box . one or two ported SD-10s would probably fit you well. Or you could lose a seat and put a 15" Icon in and tune low and get nice lows.

Yeah. I mocked up some templates today with cardboard and realized how limited I am on depth. I have a bench seat in the rear so I'd have to lose the whole thing, which I'm not doing. Stealth is what I'm really going for. I used to have 2 12" RF subs in a box sitting on my back seat, and someone broke out my side window and stole them. I'm not wanting that to happen again if possible. I'm really leaning towards 2 10" Sd2. I'm thinkin that's my best option while keeping a stock look.