Sign in to follow this  
jearhart

AA poly vs. Dayton Ref.

7" dayton vs. 6.5" AA poly midbass

i was reading some posts and it seems like many people have tried the AA and i was wondering if anybody has used both and could give a comparison. i am looking for something to run as dedicated midbass in a 3way frontstage.

both would be run off a PPI DCX600.4 so 75watts to each side. the will be used with 4" focal polyglass comps.

I don't think anyone here has them yet. Even if they did, with the limited amount of time they've been out, I don't see how you could get any real-world experience to help your decision.

not too many people have used both but both seem to have happy users. the dayton reference is known as the best bang for the buck speaker.

Why not go up to an 8" if you are going 3 way? Seems to me like those are both great 2 way choices, but once you start talking three drivers they can be more specialized and you won't need the top end of either of those but filling out more in the bottom is never a bad idea.

Why not go up to an 8" if you are going 3 way?  Seems to me like those are both great 2 way choices, but once you start talking three drivers they can be more specialized and you won't need the top end of either of those but filling out more in the bottom is never a bad idea.

Yeah i already decided to bump it up to the 8s because i have to tear up my doors anyway so i figure i should shove as much speaker in there as possible.

do you have any experience with dayton ref. speakers?

i have heard that the daytona has a bit of a peak in the upper range making them hard to use with some tweets, no personal experience though.

hmm odd, the dayton's could not have been any more expensive than $40 a mid, more like $35.

Only the 8ohm was avaliable as well

And i wasnt about to run a 8ohm mid

eh i have no problems running an 8 ohm mid. ran my seas ca18rly, getting about 35 watts and it was plenty for me. wouldn't hesitate to buy an 8 ohm mid again.

You'll need some steep filtering if you use those References in a two way setup. At least a 3rd order. They ring like mad in the upper reaches.

They should be great for a 3-way, a low crossover point should be enough to control the cone.