Sign in to follow this  
kuykendall54

alternator and battery

Hey guys just trying to get a little info about some electrical from more experienced people. Im looking into getting a new alt, i have a 2005 chevy silverado 5.3L. Now i see iraggi has a 300 amp alt and dc power has a dual bracket kit that comes with a 185 amp alt, all in the same price range which would be best for me? Run a single big alt or have the 185 to the amp? Also i have a xs power d3400 as my starting battery, but i was wondering if i put a 900 cca as my starting battery could i put the xs power in the back and be ok? Cause i read something like you cant have two different sized batterys in the vehicle, i plan to run a crescendo 3500, just trying to see my best options so i can fully power the amp. Thanks guys, you guys always do an awesome job helping me out.

Edited by kuykendall54

You could use one alternator for the vehicles stock electrical, and the other to power the amps from the rear battery. It is okay to use the XS in the back and a regular for starting, as long as they aren't wired in parallel.  If you used just a single alternator, you would need both under hood battery, and rear battery to be the same type. I would recommend another D3400 and stick with a single larger alternator and see how you like that before you buy a bracket.