Sign in to follow this  
SacredTanakh

Distortion.. No bueno

Recently I edited some music, and it had a few really low notes. Decided it was about time I moved my high pass up a little from 15hz. Did that and then for some reason decided it was a good idea to reset my gain even though it sounded perfect as is... As I was doing this and I had the gain all the way down and the deck paused, I noticed a fluttering whine coming from my subs. Thought it was a little weird cause I had never noticed it before. I forgot to mark where I had the gain before which was a mistake.. I tried to set the gain with a 40hz tone, but It was hard to tell where It actually started clipping, I was hearing distortion way before I should have. I thought I had just listened to bass too much before and I took a break for awhile. I had a headache from sitting close to the woofer to listen for distortion. When I came back it was still there. I decided I must have accidentally flipped a switch on the amp, but everything looked right. I flipped the back and forth just to make sure it was in the correct positions. I tried to put the gain back to where I thought it was but there was still this sharp-ish sound to the bass, wasn't smooth like normal. Tried up down, but to no avail. Also the amp seems to be running much hotter then normal. Usually I can play 30-45mins before it gets pretty warm. Sounds like they are clipping on most of the songs I used to play even though its not as loud. Doesn't make sense to me. I checked both the subs and they move smoothly. Thinking of taking them out of the enclosure and checking the coils and such anyway.

I miss the smooth bass and sound quality of the dcons before already, so any advice would be highly appreciated!

Did you mean your SSF up from 15hz?

EDIT: I just read the spec sheet on this amplifier and the high pass does go down to 15hz, but the LP/ bandpass needs to be selected so the HP filter doesn't matter.

Edited by BrutalBasser

Did you mean your SSF up from 15hz?

nvm

Edited by DanP

Using edited music is very risky if it isn't clean. Is your enclosure ported?

Its mainly decaf, but The stuff I edited I made sure was clipfree. Yes I have two 5cube boxes tuned to 30hz.

The weird part is everything souded great till I started messing with my amp, and I cant seem to make it sound right agian no matter what I try.

Oh and my amp only has a setting for highpass, lowpass, and full. My deck filters everything above 63hz, and I have the amp set for highpass and anything below 15hz because the dial only has number at 15hz and the other side which is 225hz. So its hard to know where the 28hz that i want to set it at is.

And before you guys ask... yes the bass boost is off :P I'm not that ignorant fortunately. Only saying that cause that would definitely cause distortion at low levels.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Okay, try this: Use a test tone and set your SSF to 28hz. I usually set my LPF 80-100hz, and turn the gain all the way down and play a song at listening volume and turn the gain up until you hear clipping, then back it off until the clipping goes away.

Okay, try this: Use a test tone and set your SSF to 28hz. I usually set my LPF 80-100hz, and turn the gain all the way down and play a song at listening volume and turn the gain up until you hear clipping, then back it off until the clipping goes away.

Yeah, That's what I was basically trying. I used a 40hz test tone turned the gain all the way down, had the hpf slightly above 15hz. then slowly turned up, but I was hearing disortion at alot lower volume and it got worse as I went to around where it was before. It was perfect before, I got a lot of compliments on the SQ. Idk why my dumbass had to mess with it.

My Current Settings: visual aid wink.png

2600_zpscbd86213.gif

I might try turning it to full mode, turning the filter off on my deck then have the LPF set to around 80hz and the HPF set right above 15hz.

Don't think it will help because I've never done that before, but why not.

Edited by SacredTanakh

You want the mode switch on LP/Bandpass setting on the amplifier.

You want the mode switch on LP/Bandpass setting on the amplifier.

Tried it earlier, it had no effect whatsoever.

Ill try that agian tomorrow and fiddle with it, but I'm thinking maybe its a mechanical issue.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Try checking your fusing and grounds. I should have mentioned that earlier.

Since you mentioned the amp getting hotter than normal, your problem could be the result of a bad connection.

Try checking your fusing and grounds. I should have mentioned that earlier.

That thought came to my head earlier, but I forgot to. Ill make sure tomorrow morning. check all the cables. Might even try different RCAs just for kicks. They are kicker RCAs so who knows ;P

Since you mentioned the amp getting hotter than normal, your problem could be the result of a bad connection.

That's a good point, didn't think about that.