Sign in to follow this  
brennermoore

2011 chevy silverado

I have a box under my back seat that has a mounting depth of 6.7 inches... i am thinking about getting two fi x 12s, i have a 4000 watt mono block autotek amp.. any better ideas on woofers?

Welcome!

Goals?

Box size?

Ported?

Tuning?

Port area?

not sure on most of the that... its sealed.. i had to phoenix gold r1 put in there and they blew with in two minutes from the amp... i dont want to downgrade in amp, just want something that will fit in that tight space under the seat and bang..

The gains must of been set wrong. Subs shouldn't blow like that. You need to know how to set the gain and all the setting before you add new subs.

What's your electrical like? Is it a prefab box?

Forgot to ask what your budget is for subs?

Edited by Bassink

Is it the mean machine amp?

had it all done professionally, amp was tuned by the place i had the install done. and yes it is the mean machine amp.

Did you put those PG subs in there and they blew or did they put them in and they blew?

I'm not sure what the volume is of the box is but I doubt it's not as much as these subs would need. If its sealed I would get the FI Qs with the high qts so it will do better in the sealed box. They will handle the 2k fine.

yes they did the full install and they blew.. but i am in the air force (only an e-3) not a very high pay grade so not the highest budget... but will the mounting depth of the q's fit in this box?

the 12" q will not fit in the box because there mounting depth is 7" im only working with about 6.7 inches

Thanks for serving!

I didn't know if they would fit or not.

They obviously don't know what they are doing then. Don't go back to them. The ssa icons have a 6.5" mounting depth and have proved themselves too be great subs. Not sure if they fit into your budget since you didn't say a number but they're 350 shipped each.

SSA is no joke. I have their Zcon 12 and people can't believe what they see when I pop the trunk. They are stunned when they find out its only one 12 play that loud and that low.

i will look into them, it is between them and the fi x 12s at this point.

I suggest you tune everything yourself this time. It's pretty easy.

not really sure how too.. i know the basics but nothing really about tuning an amp properly.

and also i might be switching to a kicker zx 750.1 amp, would that take more power than my amp i have now?

When the time comes you can ask me or make a new thread about it and I or other can tell you how.

That amp won't put out as much power. I think it would be easier for me to help you out if you give me an actual number to work with for your budget. I can recommend things all day, but it won't help if it doesn't fit your budget.

So how much do you want to spend on 2 12s?

How much do you think you could sell your amp for and then how much would you have to spend on a new amp?

Edited by Bassink

well my friend was just going to let me have his kicker amp.. actual number for my budget... well dont want too spend any more money on amps or anything so i would say 700 for two 12 inch subs. which is right at the peak for the ssa icons..

I would definitely get the icons then. For amp, I'm not sure. I know the kicker amps are good, but do they only do power at 2 ohms? I don't know how good autotek amps are.

Okay, i wouldnt say autotek amps are that great. i got it for 180 off ebay brand new with everything.. but i still feel like it has more power than the kicker amp.. also with the SSA's would i want too get them as 1 ohm or 2 ohm?

asked my buddy and all he said is it will not power down to 1 ohm, so im assuming that yes it wil only run at 2 ohms.. really sorry for all these questions but just want to make sure i make the right decision.

Final ohm load of 1 ohm you need dual 1 ohm subs. For final ohm load of 2 ohm you need dual 2 ohm subs.

I would get dual 1 ohm subs so you can wire it to 1 ohms. Use the autotek amp and later if you get some money to upgrade to a better quality amp, it will be easier and cheaper to get a 1 ohm stable amp.

Alright i will be ordering the first one next paycheck.. once they have both come in i will post pictures and probably be asking for help on tuning the amp.. thanks for everything.

No problem. Remember it takes 21 BUSINESS days for them to build the sub. If you need anything else let me know!