grumby13

build or buy subwoofer enclosure

As the title states I'm going to replace my whole setup I need help with choosing what to do the new setup will consist of 2 Ssa icon 12's a dc audio 2k and I do not know what size I should have the enclosure at for the subs and only thing that will make it a bit hard for me would be the tuning. I was think tuning to 30hz but that might be stupid to tune it that low for those subs. Thank you for all that help and I don't mind reading links to help me out

I would tune around 33hz with around 4.0 cu.ft. if you can fit it.

Pulling volume and tuning out of thin air for any driver is not the correct way to design an enclosure. Just because you tune at a certain frequency doesn't mean you are gonna hit the LOOOWWWWSSS

I would tune around 33hz with around 4.0 cu.ft. if you can fit it.

If you're going to buy a box, these khaotik enclosures are pro

it is tuned @32hz but would work perfectly with brutalbasser's advice

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/ported-dual-12-subwoofer-enclosure.html

As the title states I'm going to replace my whole setup I need help with choosing what to do the new setup will consist of 2 Ssa icon 12's a dc audio 2k and I do not know what size I should have the enclosure at for the subs and only thing that will make it a bit hard for me would be the tuning. I was think tuning to 30hz but that might be stupid to tune it that low for those subs. Thank you for all that help and I don't mind reading links to help me out

Pulling volume and tuning out of thin air for any driver is not the correct way to design an enclosure. Just because you tune at a certain frequency doesn't mean you are gonna hit the LOOOWWWWSSS

What kind of music do you listen to?

If you're good at wood working, have the tools and the time than building it yourself is usually the better route than having the local shop do it.

The main SSA page lists recommended enclosure specs for the icons. You can also play around in WinISD with the Icons' T/S specs to model a few different alignments (see how volume and tuning affects frequency response).

You're also going to want to measure your available space in the vehicle for the enclosure, determine the volume, subtract each driver displacement (~0.24ft^3), and now you have an idea of at most what your max volume is. Wood, bracing, and port will be the next major displacements that dwindle that volume down.

This goes into a little more detail: http://blog.stefanhinote.com/designing-a-ported-enclosure/

*Substitute any links in the above article with: http://bitpusher.in/

As mentioned above the Khaotic enclosures are pretty sweet if they happen to fit your vehicle.

Edited by stefanhinote

As mentioned if you have the skills to build yourself it does save a bit of money. If you use a "pre designed" enclosure from SSA's site or if you have a custom design made up.

The other option of course is to purchase one. You can purchase one of the Khaotic enclosures from SSA, which is a great choice, or if you want something a bit more custom we can always build you something if you like.

Torres Box Calculator was just recomended to me by someone on this forum. It is very helpful to play around with demensions and see what kind of tuning and space is available. You can mess with it until you find something that is close to the optimal size and tuning recomended by the manufacture... Im ganna repeat what the two posts ahead of me have said. If the skills and tools are there. Building a box would be a better choice.

Kaotik enclosures are nice. With the box I have now witch is an older MTX Thunder boX I nee a little mor width and height but depth maybe 1 to2 riches shorter I will get measurements after work which is 4am est idk if I should post in here or somewhere else would be pricing for dc audio 2k amps and where to buy the at a really good price or a place that has them on sale a lot

idk if I should post in here or somewhere else would be pricing for dc audio 2k amps and where to buy the at a really good price or a place that has them on sale a lot

Make a new thread/look around

Nvm now I got a bc2000d instead since Tue price was 650 at sound of tri state

im changing the setup it will consist of 

1 ssa zcon 15
4.5cu ft after driver displacement going for 31 or 30 hz
bc2000D might get a second one down the road
crescendo ft1 super tweeters
and crescendo 6 or 6.5 and 8" for mids
the vehicle this will go in is either going into the car i have now or the blazer i might be buying from my friends uncle's shop

just would need someone to help me make a port for the box im building and which way would be goo to fire

I am pondering the same question myself I have lots of tools but I have no table saw all I have is a jig saw & circular saw Its hard to make perfect cuts with it though. I am a pretty hand person but havent did a whole lot of wood working but I fix my own car & do my own installs.

@mike1982 what tune are you going for.

here is a website i found to help with finding the port specs
http://reaudio.com/box.php

you can take the specs you want or filled out print it and it to your local home depot lowes or any wood shop and ask if they can cut those specs for you at the bottom

Edited by grumby13