Sign in to follow this  
EddieC

Box design for 2 12" Dcons

Hey guys. New to the board here so I hope this isn't a played out topic...... but the only design I can find on SSA's site is for a single sub. Is there one floating around somewhere? The only one I could find on the net was here ----> http://www.*****.com/board/topic/158983-need-a-ported-box-design-for-2-12-ssa-dcons/

Is this a good one to try? I noticed all the youtube vids I've seen with 2 the box looks like the single enclosure design, with the port to the far side of the face. Thanks in advance.

Ok... this isn't gonna work. Too deep. I'm putting this in the back of a 2004 Scion xB. Looks like I have around 17-18 inches from the seats to the hatch. Looking at the enclosures for sale I see a 20"+ depth, so I may be sol on ported. Looks like it's sealed until I can find a design.

Edited by EddieC

I have used a lot of the free box designs on caraudio.com with really good results . Check them out if you haven't

I have used a lot of the free box designs on caraudio.com with really good results . Check them out if you haven't           

Just did.... thanks for the tip. However, the only designs I'm finding have at least a 20"  depth.  I have the 20" base, yet the angle of the seats limits me to 15" depth by the time 18" of height is reached. Any possibility of a ported wedge design within those specs that anyone knows of?

How many cubes are you wanting?

The prebuilt ones on the site are 4.... optimal per is 2.25. I want to get as close to that as possible while maintaining a 32hz tuning..... if that's possible with the limited space.

SSA used to have a box design on the site that was 3.2 cubes. Maybe Mark or Aaron will chime in on it.

Edited by BigGuy

I got a design that I built for some t1 12s that's 5 cubes I could send you. Its 18 inches deep. Tuned around 32-34

18" depth is only good to around 10" height..... downhill from there. Looks like a wedge would be my only option. UNLESS..... down firing? Or up?? Had not thought about it, but dimensions may allow for that. But how would that sound?

Thanks BigGuy.... I hope so. That sounds more within reach!

• Ok... after looking all over the net at different setups in xBs, I think I'm gonna run with the design in the thread I originally listed. I'll just keep the seats down to face it to the rear, and face the box up when I have passengers. Or I may just keep it firing up after seeing all the rides I just checked out, seems to be the go-to in this vehicle. One last question though (not sure if I should post in a different area for this one...if so I'll be happy to move this).... subsonic filter. I'm running a Kenwood 5 channel amp that pushes 500RMS at 2 ohms to the sub channel. It only has low and high pass filters along with a bass boost adjustment. Running 250 to each sub, I'm pretty sure from all I've read that I'll need to add a ssf to keep from damaging them. Am I right? I'm pretty strapped for cash after all the equipment I've added so I'm just looking something relatively inexpensive to get the job done.

• Ok... after looking all over the net at different setups in xBs, I think I'm gonna run with the design in the thread I originally listed. I'll just keep the seats down to face it to the rear, and face the box up when I have passengers. Or I may just keep it firing up after seeing all the rides I just checked out, seems to be the go-to in this vehicle. One last question though (not sure if I should post in a different area for this one...if so I'll be happy to move this).... subsonic filter. I'm running a Kenwood 5 channel amp that pushes 500RMS at 2 ohms to the sub channel. It only has low and high pass filters along with a bass boost adjustment. Running 250 to each sub, I'm pretty sure from all I've read that I'll need to add a ssf to keep from damaging them. Am I right? I'm pretty strapped for cash after all the equipment I've added so I'm just looking something relatively inexpensive to get the job done.

What's the frequency range for the high pass filter? I'm guessing it's for the front speaker channels and not sub channels.

What headunit and kenwood amp are you using?

Edited by stefanhinote

HU is a DUAL XHD7714.... nothing special, but has Bluetooth and gets the job done. It does have a sub adjustment to it, which I only use at lower volumes to even out the sound.

Amp KAC7005PS specs:

40x4 and 300x1 at 4 ohms

50x4 and 500x1 at 2 ohms

variable low pass filter on subwoofer channel (50-200 Hz at 24dB per octave)

separate variable high pass filters on f & r channels (50-200 Hz at 12 dB/octave)

variable bass boost on sub channel (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)

I'm running 2 s4 ohms in parallel to achieve the 2 ohm load for the subs.

Yeah doesn't look like you have any HPF/SSF that can work for your subs from either your deck or amp.

check out Harrison labs fmod inline filters, basic 2-way adjustable crossovers, or selling the current amp and getting one with a SSF.

Yeah doesn't look like you have any HPF/SSF that can work for your subs from either your deck or amp.

check out Harrison labs fmod inline filters, basic 2-way adjustable crossovers, or selling the current amp and getting one with a SSF.

Read a bad review about the in-lines causing noise.... but how about this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-Laboratories-S4EQ-Equalizer/dp/B000O50VEQ/ref=pd_sim_e_9

Sub crossover frequency range of 30-250 Hz. Seems to be what a lot of people are buying them for, with good reviews. Not to mention extremely affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-Laboratories-S4EQ-Equalizer/dp/B000O50VEQ/ref=pd_sim_e_9

Sub crossover frequency range of 30-250 Hz. Seems to be what a lot of people are buying them for, with good reviews. Not to mention extremely affordable.

Wrong thing....won't let me edit. This has ssf.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik-BASS-12C-Restoration-Proccessor/dp/B003UR4RWW/ref=pd_sim_e_57

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik-BASS-12C-Restoration-Proccessor/dp/B003UR4RWW/ref=pd_sim_e_57

First product has a LPF, not a HPF/SSF on the subwoofer channel.

Long Answer

The last product has a HPF/SSF adjustable from 35hz to 80hz with a relatively shallow slope (12dB). The enclosure you linked to from SMD is supposedly tuned to 32hz, so your ssf will be a bit higher than your enclosure tuning. Whether that tuning point and/or shallow slope will work for you--I don't know. Wouldn't hurt to download WinISD, model the drivers in the enclosure from SMD, and apply the filter in comparison to ~30hz 18dB filter, and compare the frequency response and excursion graphs. Perhaps someone else can chime in, currently I don't have access to WinISD.

Short Answer

I would use it if I needed to be playing music soon, but it may not be the best choice.

Long Answer

The last product has a HPF/SSF adjustable from 35hz to 80hz with a relatively shallow slope (12dB). The enclosure you linked to from SMD is supposedly tuned to 32hz, so your ssf will be a bit higher than your enclosure tuning. Whether that tuning point and/or shallow slope will work for you--I don't know. Wouldn't hurt to download WinISD, model the drivers in the enclosure from SMD, and apply the filter in comparison to ~30hz 18dB filter, and compare the frequency response and excursion graphs. Perhaps someone else can chime in, currently I don't have access to WinISD.

Short Answer

I would use it if I needed to be playing music soon, but it may not be the best choice.

I went ahead and ordered the Harrison Labs inlines. The more I read, sounded like they'd be good for my application. Most people seemed to love them. I ordered the 30 Hz version, which should put me in the safe zone. Thanks for the input!

Long Answer

Short Answer

I went ahead and ordered the Harrison Labs inlines. The more I read, sounded like they'd be good for my application. Most people seemed to love them. I ordered the 30 Hz version, which should put me in the safe zone. Thanks for the input!

Then you should be golden. :)

More like platinum! ;)

I have the same problem in that my amp has no subsonic filter. I can't seem to find those inlines so, what do you guys think of this?

http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/index_files/Page384.htm

Seems it is a bit more adjustable. Box tuned at 33hz

Edited by BigGuy

That may work for ya.... but here's the inlines. Work very nice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harrison-Lab-F-Mod-FMOD-30hz-Subsonic-Rumble-Filter-XOs-/290506420336?

Just make sure u can spare an extra couple of inches past amp dimensions if u do go with inlines. They just fit under my seat.

Cool, thanks Eddie. So if my box is uned to 33hz, is a 30hz subsonic is the way to go?

That I'm not the expert on.... just following advice from others. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. I will say though, that on the SMD link to my box design.... the guy who designed it recommended setting the ssf to 28 hz. That's 4 hz lower than the box itself.