mlcantin

Would it be safe to run my Precision Power Black Ice 1800.1 at 1 ohm?

I was wondering if I could safely run my 1800.1 at one ohm on a d3400 under the hood and a stock 117 amp alternator? I think it is pushing the envelope but input would be appreciated.

Sure. Watch the voltage, if it drops too low than lower the gain.

What range would you suggest to be too low?

Below 11.6 volts

Below 11.6 volts

why this? Edited by mlcantin

Since I never played music full-tilt with the engine off I always set the gain while the car was running, so I was relying more on the alt than the battery. I tried to keep the voltage above 12.6v

So with stereo off, 15v, playing music loud would be in the 13-14v range, and occasionally it would drop to 12.6v if it was a test tone / long boosted bass line.

Below 13v isn't charging the battery much, and below 12v the battery is draining and the amp is going to get hot.

The above numbers I used are not set in stone so don't consider what I did as gospel, but it's what I considered safe so I wouldn't ruin my amps, or have a dead battery the next time I needed to go to class.

All the while pay attention to the sound while adjusting the gain as you may reach distortion and the amp's maximum output before voltage is an issue.

Since I never played music full-tilt with the engine off I always set the gain while the car was running, so I was relying more on the alt than the battery. I tried to keep the voltage above 12.6v

So with stereo off, 15v, playing music loud would be in the 13-14v range, and occasionally it would drop to 12.6v if it was a test tone / long boosted bass line. Sounds like solid advice. When I took the car out for a spin today with everything off besides the stereo I was dropping lowest 13.3 on 45 hertz +. I had none if barely any on anything lower than that. My ecu regulates the alternator at 13.8 volts so I find this impressive. I believe my alternator is on it's last legs however because once the car heats up full it charges at 13.1-13.2 at idle which isn't right.

Below 13v isn't charging the battery much, and below 12v the battery is draining and the amp is going to get hot.

The above numbers I used are not set in stone so don't consider what I did as gospel, but it's what I considered safe so I wouldn't ruin my amps, or have a dead battery the next time I needed to go to class.

All the while pay attention to the sound while adjusting the gain as you may reach distortion and the amp's maximum output before voltage is an issue.

this is solid advice. When I was driving around the day after I wire the amp at one ohm the lowest level my voltage dropped to was 13.3 and this was on 45 hertz plus tones. on any music lower than that I had relatively none if any voltage drop. I believe my alternator is dying however because once my vehicle heats all the way up and I come to idle it charges at 13.1 Edited by mlcantin

Yeah sounds like a new alt would be a good idea especially with the newly added stereo stuff.

Yeah sounds like a new alt would be a good idea especially with the newly added stereo stuff.

I have one but my alternator is hard as hell to get off. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee if you have any advice to get it off I would appreciate it greatly. I will probably have to take it in to get the alternator on. Any suggestions on how much that will cost me?

To get it on is not hard its just the opposite of taking it out just when you tighten the adjuster not to do it to tight or you will destroy the belt really fast most alts have a tensioner and 2 bolts to take off maybe 3 in some cases their should be a little nut that looks kinda like a bolt which you have to loosen in order to slip the belt off to remove the alt. A stock alternator should charge at 13.8 which is a healthy one and below that you should check your ground and power connections to see if they are loose. When I had light dimming it was caused from a loose connection on the battery positive.

Edited by grumby13

To get it on is not hard its just the opposite of taking it out just when you tighten the adjuster not to do it to tight or you will distroy the belt really fast most alts have a tentioner and 2 bolts to take off maybe 3 in some cases their should be a little nut that looks kinda like a bolt which you have to loosen inorder to slip the belt off to remove the alt

the bolts were machine screwed and drilled on so I can't take them off is my problem

To get it on is not hard its just the opposite of taking it out just when you tighten the adjuster not to do it to tight or you will distroy the belt really fast most alts have a tentioner and 2 bolts to take off maybe 3 in some cases their should be a little nut that looks kinda like a bolt which you have to loosen inorder to slip the belt off to remove the alt

the bolts were machine screwed and drilled on so I can't take them off is my problem. Charging is also dependent upon the ecu of a given vehicle. Edited by mlcantin

I have one but my alternator is hard as hell to get off. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee if you have any advice to get it off I would appreciate it greatly. I will probably have to take it in to get the alternator on. Any suggestions on how much that will cost me?

I had a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with the straight six 4.0. I believe it's the same engine as yours. If that's the case than it's super easy. Took me an hour-ish to switch the alts, replace the belt, and wire a relay for the new alt. Here's some pics: http://blog.stefanhinote.com/jeep-gets-a-power-upgrade/

the bolts were machine screwed and drilled on so I can't take them off is my problem

Might try penetrating oil beforehand. I used a big breaker bar and they came off no biggie.

Try either wd40 or a lubricant that you used before or would prefer to help aid in loosening the bolt. I have not seen a drilled machine screw before to hold an alt in place

I had a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with the straight six 4.0. I believe it's the same engine as yours. If that's the case than it's super easy. Took me an hour-ish to switch the alts, replace the belt, and wire a relay for the new alt. Here's some pics: http://blog.stefanhinote.com/jeep-gets-a-power-upgrade/
Thanks man I will look it over. They changed though starting in 99 so the adaptation is way different

Might try penetrating oil beforehand. I used a big breaker bar and they came off no biggie.
There is not even room for a breaker bar i have tried lol. Damn crammed spaces! Oil might work though!

There is not even room for a breaker bar i have tried lol. Damn crammed spaces! Oil might work though!

That's a drag. My jeep was uber easy, but my volvo is a pain in the ass.

That's a drag. My jeep was uber easy, but my volvo is a pain in the ass.
I don't doubt you for a second haha

I love your website Stefani

Oh Stefani...

Oh Stefani...

Oh Ricky. gayhaaay1.gif

Oh Stefani...

What does that mean?

It just looks like it would be pronounced Stephanie and not Stefan. No big deal but it made me laugh when I read it.

Oh Stefani...

What does that mean?
It just looks like it would be pronounced Stephanie and not Stefan. No big deal but it made me laugh when I read it.
Oh I thought you meant it in some other context

Oh Stefani...
Oh Ricky. :gayhaaay1:
That's what I thought he meant