Got the sub and amp installed last night, and was noticing some dimming of the headlights driving around.  I'm not really wanting to change out the alternator just yet due to warranty, but I'd like to upgrade the battery and hopefully that will resolve it.

The amp is an Audioque 1200d running at 1ohm, so its making right around 1200w. 

Not really sure which route to go for a battery.  Should I look in to an Optima or Interstate type battery, or go the route of an XS battery?

It would be the main/only battery and used for daily use in both really warm and cold temps.

What vehicle?

You won't he able to fit a larger battery in the stock location. Your best bet us an auxiliary battery in the trunk or move the main battery back there, but replace it with a larger battery.

You're saying I can't do a deep-cycle or upgrade the battery and use the stock location?

Not really looking to do a second battery either due to the extra weight and lack of space.  I guess I figured using an upgraded battery to replace the stocker would be the best approach (atleast at first)

What's your voltage drop and resting voltage.

I'm unsure of that so far since it was just noticeable last night.  I could put a DMM on the amp when I get home though.  It was just something I was trying to possibly resolve ahead of time with a better battery since I leave for a big road trip tomorrow morning.

went to the xs site, entered in 2012 ford mustang and got this

http://4xspower.com/bci_group/96R/

Specs looks identical to my factory battery with 500 amps and 90 rc.

I might end up going down to one of the auto stores to see what I can fit in there.  Looks like Optima has some options that are around the 700 amps and 120 rc.

You're saying I can't do a deep-cycle or upgrade the battery and use the stock location?

Not really looking to do a second battery either due to the extra weight and lack of space.  I guess I figured using an upgraded battery to replace the stocker would be the best approach (atleast at first)

. Deep cycle will only help for severe discharge and recharge. That's not an issue here. You need more current capacity and reserve capacity. The only real way yo get there is another and/or larger battery. The S197s simply don't have much room underhood. There is a chance a different battery may work, but it will only be marginally better.

. Deep cycle will only help for severe discharge and recharge. That's not an issue here. You need more current capacity and reserve capacity. The only real way yo get there is another and/or larger battery. The S197s simply don't have much room underhood. There is a chance a different battery may work, but it will only be marginally better.

Ah ok.  That makes more sense.

Seems like marginally better might be all I need.  I don't the dimming of the internal lights or notice the factory dummy volt gauge drop.  Only am seeing it in the headlights.  I know, its not a very accurate measurement, but its all I have at the moment.

Seems like some of the Optimas I saw have a pretty decent jump in amps, but depending on the model, not too big of a jump in RC.  Whats a good amount of RC to try and look out for?

Edited by riored4v

Does Optima, Interstate, or Sears make any AGM batteries worth while? 

I was reading on DIYMA that AGM batteries are what you want to look for.

Does Optima, Interstate, or Sears make any AGM batteries worth while? 

I was reading on DIYMA that AGM batteries are what you want to look for.

Yea, the Optima I was looking at was a Yellow Top (AGM) battery.  I've had good luck with them and Blue Top's in the past.

They said D35 would fit my car:  http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/shop/yellowtop/

I might swing by the parts store on the way home to see if they fit, since so far those seem like the best options.  It would be nice if the slightly larger D34 group would end up fitting.

Edited by riored4v

Optima is Interstate's AGM. Sears has the diehard platinum.

Sears would be the better choice.

Optima is Interstate's AGM. Sears has the diehard platinum.

I was actually just looking up these two.  Trying to find out if they offer them in my size.

Sears does offer one for around 200 bucks.

Went out and tested real quick with my DMM. Essentially 14v at idle with no power and then once I start cranking on it a bit it starts dropping really low. Couldn't even go full power but I saw as low as 12.2v. Definitely out of range for a battery alone to fix.

I did call sears though and they told me they had no DieHards that would work.