Sign in to follow this  
12compass

testing coils

How do you test the voice coils of a sub with a dmm might be gettin some used ones need to test

Turn the meter to read ohms and touch the positive lead to the positive terminal and the negative lead to the negative terminal.

The coil should read whatever the Re is listed as. If its a one ohm sub it may be .6-.8. If its a two ohm sub it may be 1.6-1.8, ect.

With the leads on the sub push the cone. The numbers should fluctuate but rest back at the original number.

Be warned that cheap meters and cheap leafs may not rest at 0. Touch the leads together to verify resting numbers before testing speaker.

Thanks man i didnt realize it was that simple

My dads dmm is a sunpro and under ohms it has 200 2000 20k etc which do i use or do i use the 10v setting sorry lol im not usually an electrical guy

200. And it should be read as ohm or omega symbol on the knob. Post a pic of the meter.

It says ohm right on it and unfortunately i cant on my phone currently but i have the rough idea well enough other than coil impedance and physical look any other recommendations to check anything on a used ssa sub?

Just look for any obvious physical defects. Torn surround, loose terminals. If it has seen in leads check for burn marks on the spiders.