Sign in to follow this  
60ndown

here is a steal?

There was an Rl-i 12 originally, and there is some interest in bring it back. Not sure what mike wants to do yet.

Those are indeed very similar (if not the same) as my initial release of RL-i12's, built upon the TC2+ motor. TC does not put copper sleeves on most of the OEM TC2+ drivers that I've seen, so score one for me! ;)

But seriously, that is quite a steal - copper or not. $180 between the pair is significantly less than I'd have to pay per unit for producing them in quantity! One of the main reasons I stopped selling that RL-i12 is cause it was too expensive to produce in relation to the price people were willing to pay.. so it was cut :(

yep. if it's costing 180 for an rli 12 and the rlp can be bought for just a tad more....i wonder which one i would want... lol

one is damaged I think, but Mike has there not been a handful of people asking for the RL-i 12 to make its return?

D4 ?? just wondering, I love my RL-p, but for future reference..

A handful of people, sure. But when you consider a minimum order would involve at least 100 pcs of product, and the markup would have to be razor thin in order to sell 'em in a reasonable amount of time, the investment just isn't worth the return unfortunately crying.gif.

Personally, I think the RL-i's are fantastic, effecient drivers suitable for any practical home theater or car audio application. But these days it seems Average Joe Buyer is lookin' for a massive driver that can support a large power feed, rather than a relatively less capable product that can still sound just as good and get plenty loud.

shrug.gif

At the moment, I'm concentrating on redeveloping the 15" version of the RL-s, in order to offer a lower DCR while boosting the overall effeciency. This renovated RL-s will only be available in 15" size to begin with.. and won't make a public appearance for at least another 3 months. But when it does.. it'll be a sexi beast! grin2.gif

That makes sense. Can't wait to see the new RL-s. Are your plans going to be to stick with 3 higher end SQ driver lines for now?

Until I can find a way to get a cost-effective "budget" driver that is built well and doesn't sound like crap.. that's precisely what I'm planning grin.gif

A handful of people, sure.  But when you consider a minimum order would involve at least 100 pcs of product, and the markup would have to be razor thin in order to sell 'em in a reasonable amount of time, the investment just isn't worth the return unfortunately crying.gif

Personally, I think the RL-i's are fantastic, effecient drivers suitable for any practical home theater or car audio application.  But these days it seems Average Joe Buyer is lookin' for a massive driver that can support a large power feed, rather than a relatively less capable product that can still sound just as good and get plenty loud.

shrug.gif

At the moment, I'm concentrating on redeveloping the 15" version of the RL-s, in order to offer a lower DCR while boosting the overall effeciency.  This renovated RL-s will only be available in 15" size to begin with.. and won't make a public appearance for at least another 3 months.  But when it does.. it'll be a sexi beast! grin2.gif

By lower DCR i hope that means 1-2 ohms.

My tc2+ eD 12o bumps pretty good with 300W going to it.

> By lower DCR i hope that means 1-2 ohms.

Most likely 2 ohms, not greater for sure. But I doubt I'd want to go as low as 1ohm, as not to alienate the home theater crowd, to which this driver is primarily suited largely due to space constraints, but also the fact that on the road, you will never experience perfect sound quality because regardless of soundproofing, one will almost always experience some sort of road, wind, or engine noise. Since this driver's goal is to provide the absolute lowest distortion, it makes sense that it will therefore snag the interest of home audiophiles, over car audio enthusiasts who generally seem to prefer loudness and economy over outright sound quality.