Sign in to follow this  
clanderson

Is this Dangerous?

Hey guys, I've got 0 gauge wire running the length of my vehicle, but my amp accepts up to 4. I slapped on some reducers and realized they were too close for comfort, so I heat shrink tubed each post. Although they're on there very solidly, they're still sketching me out a bit.

What do you guys think? Should I go for some distribution blocks or something instead? Been a pain in the rear.

Running ~1500w

Pics:

10coh9h.jpg

zl2ogn.jpg

Bass will shake anything loose including rubbing these together enough to expose the metal underneath. I'd look into some angled reducers from toolmaker or project db personally.

Bass will shake anything loose including rubbing these together enough to expose the metal underneath. I'd look into some angled reducers from toolmaker or project db personally.

Could zip tie them together to reduce vibration a bit, in the sense of them rubbing against each other.

Edited by DanP

Could zip tie them together to reduce vibration a bit, in the sense of them rubbing against each other.

Mmm angled reducers you say? Sounds amazing, I'll look into that!

And initially, I was actually worried about them arching together through the rubber jackets, being so close to each other.

I'm guessing ProjectDB's reducers are aluminum like the ToolMakers, but would it be worth it to get the copper version on the Toolmakers?

Edited by clanderson

Personally, I'll just trim down some of the wire so it fits inside the amp. You are loosing nothing.

Aren't those offset so you could just loosen the set screw on the amp and turn them?

Aren't those offset so you could just loosen the set screw on the amp and turn them?

Are you talking about the Stinger reducers I've got installed?

They are kind of a D shape, with the flat end facing towards the set screw. Unfortunately, rotating them wouldn't offset them any

Personally, I'll just trim down some of the wire so it fits inside the amp. You are loosing nothing.

Thought of that initially, but determined that'd be a whole lot of messy, trimmed wire. Using SHCA wire which is pretty thick for 1/0. Had to trim enough to get it to fit into the Stinger 1/0 reducers haha

Edited by clanderson

Are you talking about the stingers I've got installed?

They are kind of a D shape, with the flat end facing towards the set screw. Unfortunately, rotating them wouldn't offset them any

I was thinking sound quest. 

Can you grind some off of each one and give yourself some space between them?

Edited by pmureika

Oooh I see. I actually had to trim quite a bit off of the Stinger "4awg" to fit into my DA 1200.1 amp - it was a huge pain!

Thinking of just grabbing some of those angled reducers... Do you think the copper would be worth the more than double price of the aluminum version?

Edited by clanderson

Oooh I see. I actually had to trim quite a bit off of the Stinger "4awg" to fit into my DA 1200.1 amp - it was a huge pain!

Thinking of just grabbing some of those angled reducers... Do you think the copper would be worth the more than double price of the aluminum version?

I haven't seen any angled adapters that I know of. Just run a 4ga. ground wire.

Cool those tool makers should do the job!

Yes sir!

Would you have an opinion on aluminum vs copper? Think it's worth the double price?

Yes sir!

Would you have an opinion on aluminum vs copper? Think it's worth the double price?

I always like copper. In your case II think aluminum would be fine going from 1/0 to 4 awg.