Sign in to follow this  
grumby13

alternator rewind

would anyone know how much more on average you can increase the output of a stock alternator just by doing a rewind. i added a second battery which is not much. the second battery is my old battery that is a stock from upfront in the engine bay. i have the 130amp alternator from a 2003 highlander, just need to get to 200A output but i know each alternator is different and will not be able to get much more out of it. thanks to all that can help me

Usually not much if you use the same case. I'd rather just go with a high output instead. I've seen a few rewinds go bad. Id also only say go that route if you had no other options for an alt

im kinda on a really tight budget saving money on a house as well so have to balance spending and saving

edit:
is there a difference between rewind and rebuild

Edited by grumby13

im kinda on a really tight budget saving money on a house as well so have to balance spending and saving

edit:

is there a difference between rewind and rebuild

Yes there is.

They don't rewind rebuilds.

On a rebuild you usually can only get the same amp as oem.

dayum i just want to boost the output as much as i can but still be able to have it for a couple years

i was asking about the diffference between the two

Edited by grumby13

would anyone know how much more on average you can increase the output of a stock alternator just by doing a rewind. i added a second battery which is not much. the second battery is my old battery that is a stock from upfront in the engine bay. i have the 130amp alternator from a 2003 highlander, just need to get to 200A output but i know each alternator is different and will not be able to get much more out of it. thanks to all that can help me

Is this an AGM Battery or an acid battery?

the one upfront is a agm a duralast platinum 34r and the one in the back or second one is an acid battery which is the old one i had upfront

the one upfront is a agm a duralast platinum 34r and the one in the back or second one is an acid battery which is the old one i had upfront

I would definately switch that around and put the AGM in back and the acid upfront. Its not safe to have a lead acid battery inside the vehicle.

I would definately switch that around and put the AGM in back and the acid upfront. Its not safe to have a lead acid battery inside the vehicle.

This x2.

Perhaps another batterie/s if money is tight. Used.

i just added another battery and my vdrop is still high when i crank it up. i just installed the battery yesturday and so far the vdrop at normal volume and when i compete is about half to 75% of the vdrop. im assumption now is my alternator i have a bc200d wired to 1 ohm but have not calculated box rise yet since im missing some tools to do so. and with the stock alternator from a 03 highlander im left with 95 amps to play with but the amp at full tilt is 144amps draw.

@DanP right now that is my only option since i do not want to put the old battery back since i have no idea how much longer it has. the battery is about 5 to 7 years old

I wouldn't use a battery that old. Get another agm thats new so you start with fresh batteries. 

The atm underthe hood keeps bulging and idk why but I have a hunch of either heat or voltage drop