quvit92

astro a 50

Tried them and skipped it. They are good, but not great. The amp is ok.

Bottom line is they are more expensive than they are worth, but if you must have a microphone with your headphones and would make use of the amp, the system is great if you don't want to built your own at all.

A boom or inline Mic and a decent set of cans will give you a much much better experience. The Sol republic cans have gotten a bit spendy, but are nice if you find them for cheeep.

I think it is audiotechnica M60s that were a great value. Or if you can handle on ear cans the grados headphones are nearly impossible to beat. My tregus gets too raw to wear them for long gaming.

One of the reasons the Astros are so popular is they are actually tuned to cut some bass. It helps to hearffootsteps. My AKGs do a great job but are brutal to bad recordings, are not bass beasts and NEED an amplifier. Computer card cannot push them.

To sum up I recommend:

Most expensive grados you can buy, but even the basic ones are pretty special. The on ear didn't work for me, but does for most.

Check out the audiotechnica M60(I will double check that naming convention for you, it is their closed back design studio monitor cans)

And afterthat it's just any of the big names... AKG, beryodynamics, seinhesser, etc etc. Just find one you like.

Try them and go with what you love the most, and use a separate Mic.

If you must have a Mic and headphone combo, you could do worse than the Astros, but you will pay for it.

In ears are a whole other can of worms....

haven't tried any of the above but I really enjoy my seinhesser hd558.