Sign in to follow this  
bombsaway

engine noise issue, help me troubleshoot!

Hey everyone,

I've got this irritating alternator whine ever since upgrading my front stage, hopefully someone can give me some insight. 

Here's my setup:

02 Lexus IS300

Alpine CDA-9856

MRX-M110

RE SE 12

*SPR-17s

*PDX 4.150

*KX3 crossover

The items marked with asterisks are new components to this install (owned them since ~07, sat in the closet for a while) and are where the noise is coming from somehow.  I've searched extensively for resources to find anything I could do to fix this issue but to no avail.  The most comprehensive guide I've found is at http://www.termpro.com/asp/pubs.asp?ID=121 but I've tried everything (new to me) that they suggest, but haven't found a fix.  I did, however, manage find the culprit.  RCAs straight to the PDX (from the deck) produces no noise whereas RCAs to the KX3 gives me the whine.  So obviously I'm getting noise from the KX3, but I don't know why.  I tried piggybacking the ground from the KX3 into my ground block for the amps, giving it its own ground separate from the block, and, for the sake of troubleshooting, grounding it straight to the battery; no cigar.  What else can I try to find the cause?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks