Sign in to follow this  
Hzd Skizzy

Unusual Whine Issue

Hello,

First to let you know my install that I am having an issue with....

I have a pioneer avh-3200dvd, an sax-50.4 which is powering the IA coaxial speakers in my front stage.

The Issue:

Yesterday I was going into depth both on my amplifier and the head unit to tune my front stage to my satisfaction. Some 3 hours later, I had gotten it just the way I wanted it. To tune, I unplugged the rcas to pull my amp out to access it, and plugged them back in. The x-over setting on my amp was on full, I switched it to HPF and basically tuned to desire. When I was done, I turned my truck off, then back on, and WHINE, no music playing. Turned the truck off, then into the half position still whine, then ignition all the way back to the locked position and no whine. The unusual part about it, to me, sometimes it's alternator whine, sometimes it's brake whine, sometimes it's just turn signal whine. The REALLY unusual part is that, when I punched the back seat (amp is located behind the back seat), no more whine. But when I turn the truck off, then back on, whine again until I move the back seat, or wiggle the amp.

I have never had a whine issue before except when I had my sub amplifier in. That was easily fixed by tightening its ground.

I have have had the same head unit, speakers, amplifier, wires, and rcas in my truck for about a year and a half, and have added nothing new. The only thing that has changed is the amplifier being switched to HPF and a few tuning settings changed.

What I have tried:

Ensuring that all connections on the amp (power, neg, rem, speaker outputs, and rcas) are not loose.

Ensuring that all grounding points are tight. (They have been previously sanded, it's a metal to metal connection.)

I appreciate your time and help, thank you in advance!

Did you unplug your battery prior to disconnecting things? Pioneer decks are notorious for blown pico fuses.

Do your RCA's run under/through where your seat is opening at?  The way the noise is changing when you open/close the seat or move the amp sounds to me like the RCA's are bad.  Try temporarily running another set of RCA's back to your amp to verify it's not an issue.  Otherwise as stated above you're probably looking at a pico fuse issue although I've never seen the whine change or go away with that issue from moving the amp, RCA's, etc. so you might get real lucky this time around.

Did you unplug your battery prior to disconnecting things? Pioneer decks are notorious for blown pico fuses.

No I didn't disconnect the battery. Would there be any other signs of a blown pico fuse?

Do your RCA's run under/through where your seat is opening at? The way the noise is changing when you open/close the seat or move the amp sounds to me like the RCA's are bad. Try temporarily running another set of RCA's back to your amp to verify it's not an issue. Otherwise as stated above you're probably looking at a pico fuse issue although I've never seen the whine change or go away with that issue from moving the amp, RCA's, etc. so you might get real lucky this time around.

You may have hit the nail on the head.

The issue is fixed. I pulled out the paneling in the back where the rcas run through and when the seat is in the upright position, the post was pinching hard on the RCA cord. The cord must've rolled itself under the post when I pulled the amp out to tune. I pulled the rcas out and re-routed them a better way where they wouldn't be pinched. Have driven a good bit today after doing that, and no more whine.

Thanks guys for helping me out. I would like to know other signs of a blown pico fuse, because if I did blow it, I'd like to go ahead and replace it.

Edited by Hzd Skizzy