Sign in to follow this  
blowthemup

cleaning up head unit wiring

Hey guys well I want to clean up the wiring behind my head unit a little bit. I have the aswc1 for steering wheel controls, antenna adapter which has a power wire, and the remote wire from my amp. All this is tied into the head units wiring harness. Is this too much on the factory harness? Should I run some additional wires, just looking for some opinions here?

I don't see any problem.  None of that stuff, in addition to the HU, has enough draw to overload the circuit if that's what you're worried about.  If it was then you'd have blown fuses.

There's nothing wrong with cleaning up the wiring, as a matter of fact I'd encourage it.  Go ahead and clean stuff up but there's no reason to run any new wires.

I can't remember exactly which wires I used, been a few months since I did it. The power wire for the antenna I think I tied into the red wire for head unit. Ive always thought the red wire was the accessory wire since yellow is constant 12v and I didn't want my antenna being boosted when the car was off. The wire is blue for the antenna adapter and my radios harness didn't have a power antenna wire so I wasn't sure where to put it. It works fine on the red wire but would it be better on a different circuit. 

No, it's fine on that wire.  Again, it doesn't draw enough current to be any sort of issue.  You're right the RED wire is the accessory wire and is switched on/off with the key.  It's perfectly fine to have both on that circuit.  In most vehicles that circuit is protected by a 10 amp fuse.  As long as the current on the circuit doesn't exceed that and constantly blow fuses you should be just fine and that stuff just won't pull that much current.

Cool deal thanks Alton, makes me feel better knowing everything is wired safe and proper. I even soldered all the connections so I wouldn't have any issues with them but its a tight squeeze getting the radio in, actually the trim isnt quite flush in one spot and thats why I was gonna pull it out and clean it up a lil. 

Edited by blowthemup

You're welcome.  I'm really glad to hear all the connections are soldered too.  That means they're good and secure and should never give you any problems in the future.  

Some vehicles just don't hardly leave any room for that kind of stuff.  It can sure be a challenge!

I velcroed the aswc1 to the top of the radio, do you think it will hurt the radio or aswc1? Think thats why the dash kit won't fit flush in all the way but ill see.

Hard to say with absolute certainty.  I would imagine that as long as it's not covering any vents on the top of the HU, and it's not over the top of the amplifier chip heatsink (typically on the rear of most HU's) then I can't imagine it would be an issue.

Hard to say with absolute certainty.  I would imagine that as long as it's not covering any vents on the top of the HU, and it's not over the top of the amplifier chip heatsink (typically on the rear of most HU's) then I can't imagine it would be an issue.

Yeah I didn't cover any holes and like you said the heatsink is on the back so i think I'm good, might need to move it if its causing fitment issues though. Think I'm good to go on this topic now, thanks again.