zhalverson

Hello everyone!

I have posted before but I think I should introduce myself since I think I'll be sticking around. You guys seems to know what's up and it's always good to hear as many peoples opinions as possible.

My name is Zach Halverson. :hay: I just bought myself a couple rl-p 15's after searching around, passing on RE, done waiting on Adire, and not finding one bad review on these subs. I've got a big project going with my 2001 Jeep Cherokee, upgrading my system big time.

The question I currently have is how to best mount these things. Currently I have designed a box with 3 ft^3 each tuned to 28 hz. The slot port is 2.5x14 to give 35 in^2 of port area and have about 35 inches of port length. The port takes a 180 degree bend and I was wondering how big of a deal that is? Currently I have it where the sub and port are up-firing. I have been reading and many people suggest an up-firing sub and rear-firing port for SUV's? Do you guys agree? If I went this way, would you want the port at the top or bottom of the box? Oh yeah, due to the size constraints I can't really just turn them around and see what's best. The amp that will be running these is the crossfire vr1000d which will be pushing about 600-650 watts rms to each sub.

Sorry for all the questions right away but I want to do this right the first time. I appreciate the help and it's good to be here!

laberynth ports have many bends, 180 deg is nothing

The CRX style enclosure ( sub up ports back) seems to be the loudest.

Port location doesnt really matter a whole lot when you are firing it back

laberynth ports have many bends, 180 deg is nothing

The CRX style enclosure ( sub up ports back) seems to be the loudest.

Port location doesnt really matter a whole lot when you are firing it back

I'm not sure which is best but in the majority of installs I've listened to (in car or suv or hatchback) the subs pointing back were usually the loudest configuration for music, perhaps for SPL and really high tunings it might be true otherwise, I don't know.

So you can't put the box in there and try each way, if not just build a single 15 box with a similar tuning and size and try it with that so it is managable and see which works best. for this I would port the same side as the driver. If you really want to find out make ports out of both side and seal one of them to test. If you don't have an spl meter it might be hard to tell. e.g you could try one way then be bangin on it for a while (draining battery and warming up sub) then you switch and your ears are already tired as is you bat. Just things to keep in mind.

later,

b

Alright, thanks for the help. I think I will try the CRX style box and get my MDF ordered up. Maybe if there is enough extra I can build another one that fits next to one of the boxes(there will be two identical boxes) and do a head to head. I'll keep you posted and give some pics when I get going though it might be a while since I'm leaving town for a while. :5shots: Later

welcome to SSA, hope to see pix of your project