rayfrausto

help deciding

width x height x depth /1728 = gross cu ft

Just leave them in inches

I did it that way and I got very close to the first way I tried it that I stated above

35x24x15=12600/1728=7.29 gross cu ft

That's only 5.88 cuft. gross. Not big enough from the get go for the 18" XCON, but it's just about doable for the 15".

EDIT: You could get the 15" in the optimal ported enclosure with 67.5 sqin (5" wide x 13.5" tall port) of port area tuned to 32hz in those dimensions. Just for a quickly calculated reference.

So I got 7.29 cu ft, how did u calculate 5.88? Just curious to see if I did math wrong?

And about saving cargo space not really a concern but I picked 15 cause I read u want space between hatch and port for breathing room. I was thinking I would want sub up port back. And you guys are being really helpful so thank you guys

Edited by rayfrausto

width x height x depth /1728 = gross cu ft

Just leave them in inches

I did it that way and I got very close to the first way I tried it that I stated above

35x24x15=12600/1728=7.29 gross cu ft

That's only 5.88 cuft. gross. Not big enough from the get go for the 18" XCON, but it's just about doable for the 15".

EDIT: You could get the 15" in the optimal ported enclosure with 67.5 sqin (5" wide x 13.5" tall port) of port area tuned to 32hz in those dimensions. Just for a quickly calculated reference.

So I got 7.29 cu ft, how did u calculate 5.88? Just curious to see if I did math wrong?

And about saving cargo space boy really a concern but I picked 15 cause I read u want space between hatch and port for breathing room. I was thinking I would want sub up port back. And you guys are being really helpful so thank you guys

The port area and tuning will use up some of that space....Alton gave you the net after the fact

You're not taking into account the wall thickness.  Wall thickness would be 1.5" total, .75" for each wall if using 3/4" thick material to build the enclosure which is fairly standard.

35"W - 1.5" = 33.5"

24"D - 1.5" = 22.5"

15"H - 1.5" = 13.5"

33.5 X 22.5 X 13.5 = 10,175.625 / 1728 = 5.88867 cuft gross INTERNAL volume.

lol I didnt think about that myself and I knew better!!

Dang! Looks like u need a a huge box for a 18" glad I'm getting this info beforehand. I just got off work so I dont feel like doing much, but later I AM A go out and take better measurments (how much room between port and hatch is ideal?).

If that's all I can squeeze out would the zv3 better fit my situation? Specs on zv3 for 18" says 4 cu ft

Edited by rayfrausto

Optimally it would be ideal to have 1.5 times the port width.  For example if your port was 4" wide then you would need about 6" of room.  That's just a basic and easy way to remember it.  Some guys get fine results with less, it's really something that needs to be tested.

Okay I took more accurment measurements and cleaned out the cargo area. I came out with 56.5 x 22 x 26 (that's with 5" from trunk hatch)

So with alton deduction of 1.5 im getting

55x20.5x24.5= 27,623/1728=15.98 cu ft gross internal volume? So is that correct?

So if I have about 16 cu ft of internal space to play with then in future if I wanted to I could have a new box built and put 2 18" in a 14 cu ft net box for them?(that would be nice for future knowing I could buy one more).

So how do you guys recommend me go about getting a box. I dont no any box builders around. Do you guys recommend anyone on the forums? Would someone make and ship or would that be rediculous shipping? Or would I pay someone to design it then find a good box builder to make it?

You're probably better off getting help with a box design on here and then taking the design to a builder in your area.  Out of idle curiosity, can you tell us which of those measurements are width, depth and height?  I'm amusing the 56.5" is width, the 22" is height and the 26" is depth but it would be nice to know for certain.  I'd be glad to help with the design of the enclosure for you if you like.

You've got plenty of space, that's for sure.

You're probably better off getting help with a box design on here and then taking the design to a builder in your area.  Out of idle curiosity, can you tell us which of those measurements are width, depth and height?  I'm amusing the 56.5" is width, the 22" is height and the 26" is depth but it would be nice to know for certain.  I'd be glad to help with the design of the enclosure for you if you like.

Yes and thank you so you were correct on what you assumed. I took a better measurement with hatch closed(always taught measure twice cut once), and I got a new measurement of 37" from hatch to back seat.

So my measurements I would lke to use are 46W x 24H x 30D (can change if need more or less port room I guess?)

44.5W x 22.5H x 28.5D = 28,535.625/1728=16.5 cu ft.so a box built for 1 18" Icon with those Max measurements? I dont no how box designing/building goes but I'm assuming we would use less space to get something more in the lines of 7 cu ft?

Yes and thank you so you were correct on what you assumed. I took a better measurement with hatch closed(always taught measure twice cut once), and I got a new measurement of 37" from hatch to back seat.

So my measurements I would lke to use are 46W x 24H x 30D (can change if need more or less port room I guess?)

44.5W x 22.5H x 28.5D = 28,535.625/1728=16.5 cu ft.so a box built for 1 18" Icon with those Max measurements? I dont no how box designing/building goes but I'm assuming we would use less space to get something more in the lines of 7 cu ft?

That's absolutely correct, only need to use about half the available space.  The good part is with that much extra space the enclosure can be designed and built to be well braced and with plenty of port area.

That's absolutely correct, only need to use about half the available space.  The good part is with that much extra space the enclosure can be designed and built to be well braced and with plenty of port area.

Cool this sounds great! So my mind is made up I'm going to be getting a 18" xcon hopefully by next month. How much would u charge me to design a box to take it to someone to build. I would like sub up port back cause I hear that sounds really good in a open cabin like mine

Me?  I don't charge a thing.

Great sounds good.I would love to take you up on ur offer to help with a design. If the design is easy enough I might try to build it. I have a lot tools. But if I feel overwhelm I might just pay for a quality builder.

Also I have been doing more reading and I guess every vehicle and install differs but I dont no what would be best sup up/port back or sub back/port back. Every set of subs I have owned have all been sub back port back so I cant say I have herd a different setup