Sign in to follow this  
tac2137

Good 2 way speakers i could pick up at a store?

I will soon be running Two SA-12s on a saz 1500d and i want to get new speakers. The ones i have in my car  now are terrible, 1 is blown and the others are on the way out as well. They are 6 1/2 all around and im looking for opinions on reasonably good speakers i could pick up at best buy or something of that nature. I have seen some speakers that go for $200+ a pair and have heard of others that are half that that and do just as much. 

I wouldn't normally recommend any coaxials to anyone, it's just not that hard to work in a set of components, but I've installed these Pioneer TS-D1702R's in a few vehicles and what you get for the price paid is pretty hard to beat.  Wal-Mart wouldn't have them but any shop that carries Pioneer products should be able to get them.  Not sure what the prices would be in a shop but I've found them online for under $70 a pair.  On HU power alone they're not bad but if you can put a four channel amp on them they come alive with great midbass and a great smooth sound for their modest price.

The most important thing though is the installation no matter what speaker it is that you end up using.  A solid baffle and a little sound deadening can go a LONG way on the sound of speakers mounted in the factory locations.

I wouldn't normally recommend any coaxials to anyone, it's just not that hard to work in a set of components, but I've installed these Pioneer TS-D1702R's in a few vehicles and what you get for the price paid is pretty hard to beat.  Wal-Mart wouldn't have them but any shop that carries Pioneer products should be able to get them.  Not sure what the prices would be in a shop but I've found them online for under $70 a pair.  On HU power alone they're not bad but if you can put a four channel amp on them they come alive with great midbass and a great smooth sound for their modest price.

The most important thing though is the installation no matter what speaker it is that you end up using.  A solid baffle and a little sound deadening can go a LONG way on the sound of speakers mounted in the factory locations.

I would much rather have components, I've just never had experience installing them. What do you recommend for those? i would like to be able to pick them up in store because i don't really live in a great area and i get home at 2:30am so im scared someone will take it off my front porch haha. If i have to i will order online instead of wasting money on something that is just "ok" The only ones i see in store that are 6 1/2 (the rest are 5 1/4) are Alpine   SPS-610C,  Kenwood KFC-P709PS and Kicker 40CSS654    

Edited by tac2137

I'd have to agree with Alton. I've used these and the previous versions of the TS-D's in my own cars and the shop I work at now sells tons of them. The large soft dome tweeter makes for a smooth sounding speaker that is very difficult to beat for the price.

I would much rather have components, I've just never had experience installing them. What do you recommend for those? i would like to be able to pick them up in store because i don't really live in a great area and i get home at 2:30am so im scared someone will take it off my front porch haha. If i have to i will order online instead of wasting money on something that is just "ok" The only ones i see in store that are 6 1/2 (the rest are 5 1/4) are Alpine   SPS-610C,  Kenwood KFC-P709PS and Kicker 40CSS654    

The same series of Pioneer speakers in component sets are pretty nice as well.  I've not had any experience with the Kenwood or Kicker components you mentioned but the Alpine SPS's are too shabby either, though it's my opinion the Pioneers do sound a bit smoother.  There's also the Incriminator Audio 6.5" components that quite a few people seem to really like.  

As far as ordering things, I believe that Fedex and UPS have the capability or option of shipping to a local store, or holding it at a local delivery point so that you can simply go and pick it up instead of having it shipped directly to your door if you can't trust your neighborhood.  That may be something you can take advantage of in your case, or have it shipped somewhere you don't have to worry about it disappearing and can trust the person you send it to will give it to you when you go to get it from them.  There's not a ton of options for someone in your shoes, but there are options.

Components aren't that much more difficult to install, they just require a little more work and planning.  One of the best things you can do when you go to install components is to not simply set your mind on just one and only one location to mount the tweeters and be comfortable with making modifications to your vehicle.  The best thing to do is use some double sided tape or something similar to stick them in different locations.  Do that and listen to them in those locations for a bit to get a good feel for the sound.  Try different aiming directions where applicable as well.  In locations where they don't sound as good try switching the polarity on one, then the other, then both to see if it helps.  Then once you find the perfect spot that sounds the best to you make them permanently installed in that location.

If all that is too much for your current installation skills, or you're not comfortable making any permanent modifications to your vehicle it might be best to stick with the coaxials for now.  

I was looking at the pioneer TS-D1720C models and have read some good things about them.  i think they are about $220 for the pair. Im also more than willing to try new things with my car and i also have a family friend that use to install stereo equipment a few years back and is now an electrician. He said he would also be more than willing to help me out with setting everything up in person. I also have 1 more questions about speakers haha. I'm almost positive that the reason my stock speakers are damaged is because of water. they have a constant crackling to them and i read a few reviews about my year of car having a problem with water damage to the speakers. How would i go about keeping my new speakers safe from possible water damage?

I'm almost positive that the reason my stock speakers are damaged is because of water. they have a constant crackling to them and i read a few reviews about my year of car having a problem with water damage to the speakers. How would i go about keeping my new speakers safe from possible water damage?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i452_speaker-baffles.html

something like one of these will help. I don't recommend using the whole thing and sealing the speaker up though, cut it in half and use it on the top side of the speaker. That will keep the water from the window opening from pouring in on the speaker.

just a hunch, is it a Cobalt?

I'm almost positive that the reason my stock speakers are damaged is because of water. they have a constant crackling to them and i read a few reviews about my year of car having a problem with water damage to the speakers. How would i go about keeping my new speakers safe from possible water damage?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i452_speaker-baffles.html

something like one of these will help. I don't recommend using the whole thing and sealing the speaker up though, cut it in half and use it on the top side of the speaker. That will keep the water from the window opening from pouring in on the speaker.

just a hunch, is it a Cobalt?

Do you think the plastic or foam would be better. I would think foam. 

No its a Nissan Altima haha

The same series of Pioneer speakers in component sets are pretty nice as well.  I've not had any experience with the Kenwood or Kicker components you mentioned but the Alpine SPS's are too shabby either, though it's my opinion the Pioneers do sound a bit smoother.  There's also the Incriminator Audio 6.5" components that quite a few people seem to really like.  

As far as ordering things, I believe that Fedex and UPS have the capability or option of shipping to a local store, or holding it at a local delivery point so that you can simply go and pick it up instead of having it shipped directly to your door if you can't trust your neighborhood.  That may be something you can take advantage of in your case, or have it shipped somewhere you don't have to worry about it disappearing and can trust the person you send it to will give it to you when you go to get it from them.  There's not a ton of options for someone in your shoes, but there are options.

Components aren't that much more difficult to install, they just require a little more work and planning.  One of the best things you can do when you go to install components is to not simply set your mind on just one and only one location to mount the tweeters and be comfortable with making modifications to your vehicle.  The best thing to do is use some double sided tape or something similar to stick them in different locations.  Do that and listen to them in those locations for a bit to get a good feel for the sound.  Try different aiming directions where applicable as well.  In locations where they don't sound as good try switching the polarity on one, then the other, then both to see if it helps.  Then once you find the perfect spot that sounds the best to you make them permanently installed in that location.

If all that is too much for your current installation skills, or you're not comfortable making any permanent modifications to your vehicle it might be best to stick with the coaxials for now.  

Thanks for all the help, Its hard to show my appreciation online. I bought the Pioneer TS-D1720C components with some foam speaker baffles to help keep them from water and ill probably buy some sound deadening next paycheck.  I know i keep asking you questions but you seem to have the fastest and most unbiased and fair answers in my opinion. Im looking for good sound quality but at the same time good bass. Now i only bought the components for my front door speakers. Should i buy the same for my back speakers or should i get some Mid-bass drivers? My back speakers are the ones that sit right behind the back seats right above the trunk, not inside the back doors. 

If you put those speakers your buying in the front doors.

I would just do away with the rear speakers.

You have the subs for bass.