Swimmerdude

RL-p with 1300rms??

Not for sure if i will be getting the new amp yet, but its an Elevation audio DX2000.1. I was told it would do 1200-1300 at 2ohm. I am planning on getting a 15" RL-p. So, what do you guys think about 1300rms going to it?? I know it will be fine. So the next question, what type of box should i make sinch i am throwing so much power at them?? Should I go sealed just to be on the safe side??

sealed vs ported should be decided by what you want from the woofer not by how much power you have for it, especially since you have more than enough on hand

I know that much, but isnt it true that by going sealed, the sub will have more power handling vs going ported??

Edited by Swimmerdude

Well, it is kind of what I have and next year, once i am out of highschool, i am thinking about competing. I will then upgrade to 2 of the drivers. My plan was to get 2 D4 drivers and wire them to 1ohm getting 1000rms each. So for now, if i only get one rlp, it will be ran at 2ohm getting 1200rms. The gains will be set conservatively to make sure i dont clip it.

So what size/type enclosure should i shoot for??

once again, what do you want? just loud? go ported, want good sounding bass, go sealed

I am going to go sealed with it. It should be plenty loud to not need to go ported. Now, what size enclosure should i shoot for??

Sealed would indeed be the safer bet - I would aim for between 2.0 - 2.5 cu ft net volume for in car performance. You could go ported as well, but you would need to be more cautious about all that power you have on tap. If you plan to compete for SPL, you may wish to go ported to begin with since that's almost inevitably what you will use in competition - so you can get a feel for the driver, experience it in the given setup, and then work off that experience to tweak it for more output down the line when you get serious. If you do go ported, I would start with around 3.0 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz.

Have fun!

Use the reccomended specs on the site.

They work well

:werd_msword:

Sealed would indeed be the safer bet - I would aim for between 2.0 - 2.5 cu ft net volume for in car performance.  You could go ported as well, but you would need to be more cautious about all that power you have on tap.  If you plan to compete for SPL, you may wish to go ported to begin with since that's almost inevitably what you will use in competition - so you can get a feel for the driver, experience it in the given setup, and then work off that experience to tweak it for more output down the line when you get serious.  If you do go ported, I would start with around 3.0 cu ft tuned to 28 Hz.

Have fun!

Thanks Mike, thats exactly what i needed to know. I am just going to start off sealed then maybe before winter or once spring hits, i will switch to a ported box. Hopefully by then i will have put some sound deadener in my SUV. Hopefully i will be able to go out and watch a show this summer to see how the whole competition thing works.

For a sweet response, go with a minimum 2.1 cu ft net internal volume (the RL-p15 will displace 0.21 cu ft of airspace, so taking that into account, 2.31 cu ft internal volume). This will make for a nice even keeled response, with good low end extension. thumbup.gif

why does everyone always say to go sealed for a better sounding sub. Ported boxes can sound just as good as sealed boxes.

i think "sound good" is a very loose term. Are you saying it is as fast? as flat (as eldo said)? blends just as well, gets just as loud?

a flat response in a ported box can be a PITA

Got my RL-p 15 in a 2.0 net box, and the sub sounds absolutely amazing in it. It's getting roughly 1000 watts.

Like Mike mentioned, shoot around 2.0 net and you'll be straight.

Got my RL-p 15 in a 2.0 net box, and the sub sounds absolutely amazing in it. It's getting roughly 1000 watts.

Like Mike mentioned, shoot around 2.0 net and you'll be straight.

:)

looks like a knock off LVS..and if it is, i feel sorry for you. i have installed several LVS's, and i gotta say, they sure ain't worth the hype and i'm a big memphis fan.

you should've gotten the rl-p....or the rl-s...the rl-s will destroy a LVS. and yeah, i've played with both.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I have not tested anything from them.

oh they are not a knock off lvs, trust me. I have heard them and wow..... just wow. It is a relatively samll company but makes high end products.

A guy with 1 12" execution (last years model) and only like 1000 rms to it did 141. Now, this years model is a lot better. 1 of this years models ported is considerably louder than 2 from last years sealed.

Edited by Swimmerdude

oh they are not a knock off lvs, trust me.  I have heard them and wow..... just wow.  It is a relatively samll company but makes high end products.

A guy with 1 12" execution (last years model) and only like 1000 rms to it did 141.  Now, this years model is a lot better.  1 of this years models ported is considerably louder than 2 from last years sealed.

One 12" ported is usually louder than 2 12" sealed anyways bro..................

J

Perhaps, perhaps not...depends on what the tuning frequency is :)

I know if I got another driver and sealed it, my SPL score would go up dramatically...in part because I wouldn't have the nasty impedance rise I get now ;)

Actually, they should be very similar in output. With power being supplied from 1 amp, when you drop down to 1 sub, you lose 3db, but by going ported, you will gain 3db. So with just that, they sould has similar outputs. Anyways, all i am saying is that this years model is definitely louder than last years so that 141 could be a little higher if was using the new model sub.

On another note, mrray13, i know you are well known here and are a very knowledgable person and everything, but dont go bashing products if you have never used them before.