Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Clinton

Box plan assistance for RL-i 8

I am still up in the air as to how I am going to install the little monster. I have wanted one for a long time, now that I have one, I almost want a second one to pair up with it. So I want to start thinking about a very good SQ box with enough output for the bass to make it out of my trunk and into the cabin, which by the way the RL-p 12D2 is having some trouble with an Orion 8002 on it (just to give you and idea as to how much bass is trapped in the trunk).

Anway, I looked around a decent amount and listening to Mike, I am thinking I will go ported. Even though I would love sealed but know it will not have the output I need. So according to Mikes measurements, the .4 cubes @ 30 hz looks to be about where I want to tune. But the Fs is 25.7 so I wonder the level of output that might be lost if I went with 26 hz or so. I need to take measurements first before I ask the better box builders here for a design.

Just putting this up for ideas and suggestions before we start to design because this might become my show install. Plus I would get much of my trunk back if the box is nice and shallow.

All i can say is...in the same enclosure my RL-i was noticeably louder than my e8a with less watts.

It sounds like your average 12 sealed off of like 300W

Mind you....i tad it in a TCAE with cannon ports tuned pretty high (43hz) but it still sounded good.

Can you horn pass it into your car through the rear armrest hole? If I redid the system in the M, I would surely seal up the hole and connect that airspace to the subside of the box. I am not sure what your rear armrest is like though. I'll stick with my thought from yesterday too, if it is a big armrest make a custom one that holds the little guy. Either solution puts the sub "in the cabin" with you so to speak and should help.

Sean that is a great idea, but because this is a 2 door and a low car, the fuel tank rests between the trunk and the cabin. :(

I am working on putting a pair of Rl-i 8s in the back of my car to. I keep changing my mind on ported or sealed. I could do 2 sealed with up to 2cu ft of air for both. I might get a 3rd just not sure if I will have enough power then. I have 800 watts to work with. I am putting it in a hatchback so I dont have a problem with getting the sound up front.

Well let me know what you end up going with and how you like it.

Good luck

MJ

How big is the first aid kit ?

maybe 20" x 16" or so, guessing, I already have the trunk ported through it,

I would rather not cut anymore. :(

pff, i really like my 1.3 @ 35 hz.

it doent roll off till around 27 or so...and it peaks @ like 33hz...even though its tuned @ 35.

wacky i know.

id acutally like to go a little smaller if i could, and tune a little lower.

.8 - .9 @ 29 hz would probably be pretty cool.

pff, i really like my 1.3 @ 35 hz.

it doent roll off till around 27 or so...and it peaks @ like 33hz...even though its tuned @ 35.

wacky i know.

id acutally like to go a little smaller if i could, and tune a little lower.

.8 - .9 @ 29 hz would prolly be pretty cool.

hummm, very interesting, I like the sound of that idea

btw...ive got plans for an RL-i in a TL/SS/rear horn hybrid box if you interested.

I would be very interesting in a TL for the 8!!! :thanx:

Sean that is a great idea, but because this is a 2 door and a low car, the fuel tank rests between the trunk and the cabin. :(

Ah, chit. My car is missing one option from the factory I would really like to have. In high school, I referred to it as the alcoholic option. BMW offered a refridgerator for a rear armrest in my car. I just pictured that and though it would make a really cool enclosure for the little 8 that is sitting in my garage. That and the pass through of course is a good idea, sucks about the gas tank though. You could still do sort of a pass through by building the box underneath the rear deck and run a "horn" up to the baffle to port the sound directly into the car....or work with 80" and do it bandpass through the rear deck. I've heard a couple stellar bp installs that way.