Sign in to follow this  
havok13154

1 or 2, 12" D2 mags?

i have a 2002 lexus es300 same trunk and the new camrey i think. i'm thinking ported, tuned to somewhere around 28 or so. i have no idea really i'm not a box guy at all. same tuning if i use 2?

i have a hifonics zues 1000d that does 1000@1ohm

i want clean sound but i want lots of bass when the right song comes on so i can crank it. would it be better to get 1 or 2. if i get 2 can i get a better amp in lets say 6 months? us amps 1500@1ohm?

i was going to get 1 but i see people posting about 450 watts on 1.

will 1 sound cleaner then 2 at 1000@1ohm? how muhc louder will 2 be then 1?

sorry for all the ? but i want to amke 100% sure what i'm doing.

can i buy box plans from someone? my friend has a wood shop so he will build it if i give him plans

Edited by havok13154

don't worry about asking questions, the more the better!!

I tested the 12 in a 27hz box and LOVED IT. If you add a second driver and have the room, while keeping great low end, stay in the mid to upper 20's. One MAG will sound fine off of 450 watts or 1500 watts. People are running almost everything in between and love it. As for clarity of 1 over 2 with the same power, I don't think you will be able to hear a difference if the box is made well. If you went with something like a US Amps Merlin MD2 or Sundown Audio 1500D you will feel a decent jump in output over the hifonics. If I remember correctly, adding a second driver of same size with the same power will gain you 3db approx. But application changes from car to car. Two MAGs with 1500 or so watts in a quality box will be very hard to beat for a SQ daily driver with serious output.

i have a 2002 lexus es300 same trunk and the new camrey i think. i'm thinking ported, tuned to somewhere around 28 or so.  i have no idea really i'm not a box guy at all. same tuning if i use 2?

i have a hifonics zues 1000d that does 1000@1ohm

i want clean sound but i want lots of bass when the right song comes on so i can crank it.  would it be better to get 1 or 2.  if i get 2 can i get a better amp in lets say 6 months? us amps 1500@1ohm?

i was going to get 1 but i see people posting about 450 watts on 1.

will 1 sound cleaner then 2 at 1000@1ohm?  how muhc louder will 2 be then 1?

sorry for all the ? but i want to amke 100% sure what i'm doing.

can i buy box plans from someone?  my friend has a wood shop so he will build it if i give him plans

I would suggest buying a mag 12 now and hooking it up to the hifonics amp. Put it in a nice ported enclosure and it will hit VERY hard. You can always upgrade later if you want it a little louder. But I have a feeling the output from a single mag 12 will be plenty for what you are looking for.

if i do 2 now they will get 500 watts each i'm keeping my amp for now as i have enough to buy 1 or 2 sub i have about $1000.

so SQ will be the same. will 2 with 1000@1ohm be louder then 1 at 1000@1ohm?

1 off 1000rms will be just as clean as 2 off 500rms.

Loud...I would say that the 2 12" will be louder then the one on more power.

I suggest buying one and run your amp you have now. Then later on down the road if you want you can get another.

well if i get one and run it at 1000 and get another then one will be worn at 1000 rms. if i get another I'll have the money to buy a new amp so each will get 750. but one will be used at higher so will the new one sound as good as the used one?

used one will have had 1000 and now have 750 as the new one.

ALSO i have 2 10" planet audio big bangs now(they are old maybe 5 years). i assume the SI will put them to shame. that is why i was thinking 2 because i got 2 now but they are 10". the SI will replace the planet audio

Edited by havok13154

just a reminder if you get 2, you'll need an amp that does its power at 2 ohms, not 1. the 2 ohm DVC design of the Mag lets you wire to 1 or 4 ohms when using a single sub, but when combining with another you can only get .5, 2, or 8 ohms. and 2 ohms is the most popular setup out of that bunch, especially when talking about amplifier output.

oh and there will be no difference between the used one and the new one if you add one later, no matter the power the first sees.

Edited by KU40

that shines a new light on it. 2ohm means even more money. maybe i'll just do 1 and if i really want to drop the $1500 on a amp and another sub i will. i was hoping to get another one and spend about 500 on a 1500x1ohm.

maybe i'll do some research on a .5 stable amp.

thanks for the input if anyone has some more let me know.

Go with 2. u will never get the lows you want with just 1 12". i had 2 and disconnected 1 and put my 1200.1 jbl on it alone and it pounded but not near what 600 watts to each did

2 ohm stable amps aren't inherently more expensive that 1 ohm stable amps.

.5 ohm stable amps are tons harder to find than 2 ohm amps.

Most companies i've seen make a 5-600 watt amp stable to 2 ohms, a 1000-1500 watt amp stable to 1 ohm, then a 2500 watt amp stable to 2 ohms. Some make a 1k-1.5k watt amp optimized at 2 ohms also.

Edited by KU40

Go with 2. u will never get the lows you want with just 1 12". i had 2 and disconnected 1 and put my 1200.1 jbl on it alone and it pounded but not near what 600 watts to each did

What is NOT loud or low for you, may be for someone else. There are too many variables to make a statement such as this. I have sat in a car with a single Magnum 15 sealed and 1200 watts and it would make your vision blurry. I've also had mine my truck in a small sealed enclosure with 250 watts and it was enough to make your ears pop.

What is NOT loud or low for you, may be for someone else. There are too many variables to make a statement such as this. I have sat in a car with a single Magnum 15 sealed and 1200 watts and it would make your vision blurry. I've also had mine my truck in a small sealed enclosure with 250 watts and it was enough to make your ears pop.

:ohnoes9:

well if i do one i wont add one i want to build ONE box. if i get 2 i'll upgrade the amp later.

also i will be using 750x1 at 2ohm so that is 375 each, that seems too low to me.

i think one will be enought.