ThirdCoast

Ok here is the "plan"

I have a 2002 S-10 2 door Blazer. Right now i have a pioneer slim sub and box built to fit behind a reg cab s10.

Well the 12 is going bye bye to a fellow truck club memeber and i want to have the best of both worlds.

1. Bass

2. Space (cargo)

So my question is, what is the smallest box i can go for a rl-i8???

Also will this amp be suffecient?

SPA120.2

Circuitry - Class AB technology

4 ohm @ 14.4 - 2 x 120 watts

4 ohm bridged @ 14.4 - 1 x 500 watts

2 ohm @ 14.4 - 2 x 240 watts

Capability - 2 ohm stereo

Thanks,

Jon

Depends how big the area is.

.07ft^3 is incredibly small, you can put it under your seat no problem

Minus the fact that the woofer itself is massive

Depends how big the area is.

.07ft^3 is incredibly small, you can put it under your seat no problem

Minus the fact that the woofer itself is massive

Well like i said its going in a 2 door s10 blazer. I want to maxamize the space i can use, so that means minizing the box.

If this is not possiable, is there a nother 8 inch sub that might be better?

The box can be really small as Eldo said, but it won't be smaller than the sub therefore the internal dimensions must be (unless you use glass) 8"x8"x6.5"-- I allowed 1/2" for the pole vent.

0.07 * 1728 + driver of .09 * 1728 is 275 cubic inches -- the box I described above has an internal volume of 416cu inches so it will have more than you need but will probably be a little better with the .15 it has for the sub.

I put one underneath the rear seat of my pickup no problem.

The box can be really small as Eldo said, but it won't be smaller than the sub therefore the internal dimensions must be (unless you use glass) 8"x8"x6.5"-- I allowed 1/2" for the pole vent.

0.07 * 1728 + driver of .09 * 1728  is 275 cubic inches -- the box I described above has an internal volume of 416cu inches so it will have more than you need but will probably be a little better with the .15 it has for the sub.

I put one underneath the rear seat of my pickup no problem.

so the external should be 8.75*8.75*7.25? using 3/4 MDF?

That would only be a one sided box then.

That would only be a one sided box then.

:D ft^3

:wacko: I just meant you need to add 3/4" to both sides of the box.

If you are throwing 500 at her yes. I haven't run one quite that small and am sure that it might prefer a bit bigger enclosure, but if you are really trying to minimize space that would be the way to go. I however, would measure your space and see what you have and maybe adjust from there. The small box capability is definetely part of the reason I chose to get one.

If you are throwing 500 at her yes.  I haven't run one quite that small and am sure that it might prefer a bit bigger enclosure, but if you are really trying to minimize space that would be the way to go.  I however, would measure your space and see what you have and maybe adjust from there.  The small box capability is definetely part of the reason I chose to get one.

Nice....now another question, and thanks for being so helpful, i have heard that it is hard to get one of the subs, is this true? I email them and have yet to get a responce.

Not hard at all. They are made in batches and have sold out twice in the past six months due to unpredicted popularity but just contact Mike on the site and he will get back to you fast.

Note, Mike posted that he was on vacation until today up where his wireless internet did not work so I am sure he will get back to you it might just take a bit longer than usual. He is the most prompt and helpful person I have ever bought drivers from in this industry.

Oh, the only thing we ask in return for help or opinions are pictures of the install. Not required, but get ready to hear requests.

Not hard at all.  They are made in batches and have sold out twice in the past six months due to unpredicted popularity but just contact Mike on the site and he will get back to you fast. 

Note, Mike posted that he was on vacation until today up where his wireless internet did not work so I am sure he will get back to you it might just take a bit longer than usual.  He is the most prompt and helpful person I have ever bought drivers from in this industry.

Ok. Last question. Due to me working out of town every week, getting married in a week. In the middle of buying a house...so on and so on.....if i were to buy, and i know this is a forbidden phrase, a prefabed box....is there one you would recomend?

Something like this ok?

http://www.audio-n-more.com/Merchant2/merc...Code=QLH-3508SS

Can't tell you much about that box as I have never seen one; however, if it is made with 5/8" MDF with 500w that little SS is going to flex it all over. If it is put together decent and uses at least 3/4" MDF it would be fine. On a side, I don't like terminal cups on my boxes though.

Congrats on the wedding.

He is fine with that prefab.

I used 5/8" for my 15" TC3000 off of a good 1k+ watts and only got some vibrations with low low bass and the cone was moving a crap ton as well

Can't tell you much about that box as I have never seen one; however, if it is made with 5/8" MDF with 500w that little SS is going to flex it all over.  If it is put together decent and uses at least 3/4" MDF it would be fine.  On a side, I don't like terminal cups on my boxes though.

Ok, do you have any other options?

I used 5/8" for my 15" TC3000 off of a good 1k+ watts and only got some vibrations with low low bass and the cone was moving a crap ton as well

Its a q-logic, so i assume its decent.... :puzzled:

Not the greatest ever but if you have no time it will work.

I wouldnt buy it from that site though, thats way to much money for a little enclosure like that

Not the greatest ever but if you have no time it will work.

I wouldnt buy it from that site though, thats way to much money for a little enclosure like that

no plan to, i have a local car audio shop that i might drop by after i sell the slim pioneer and box and buy the new RL-i8....

I can't wait to see the look on people's faces when i lug that beast in the shop....