Sign in to follow this  
areyouserious

15" Q Dustcap Getting Very Warm

Hey all,

I had to make a new username I guess because of the crash..anyways

The dustcap on my Q is getting very warm. I am using my BXi-1500d, which probably does an actual 1000w @ 1ohm.

I have the Dual 2 coils. The gain is set 1/2 way on the amp, the sub pre-out is @ +6, which basically uses the full voltage (2.2v).

I don't think I can be overpowering the Q. And there is a funny smell, not sure if it's the VC glue or the VC melting itself.

What should I do, because I don't think I am overpowering the Q with this amp.

Here is a video BTW:

not sure on the warm dustcap. but that looked like a pioneer cd player correct? my old one used to distort and clip the signal at +6 so i always kept it flat at 0.

Right, but if I set it low like that, there is really no sub pre-out voltage if it's set @ 0, that's why I have to keep it high.

I may raise the gain a bit, and back down and try to match the HU and amp voltages.

Will this hurt the sub Mustang, or not really?

Clipping? Yeah it can hurt it...it can burn the coil :).

Drop the substage output on the headunit down to 0 and set the amp accordingly, i honestly think your clipping it.

Clipping? Yeah it can hurt it...it can burn the coil :).

Drop the substage output on the headunit down to 0 and set the amp accordingly, i honestly think your clipping it.

I know what clipping does, and I kinda figured it was clipping.

I don't want to turn the gain on the amp past 3/4 though.

We will see.

on the pioneers i've used they were ok in the 3-4 rane but anything above that started clipping, turn it down a bit. The amp should still see max voltage before you max out your HU volume or your gains on the amp. If it doesn't then look into a line driver

Sign in to follow this