Sign in to follow this  
Adrian_D

DIY circle jig

just part of it. more (pics) to come friday/saturday

IMG_0350.jpg

the pin will attach to the bottom of the T. the C-shaped part will attach to the router. T part connects to the router with 2 metal rods. i can move the center of the circle right next to the bit. no more troubles with tweeter holes :woot:

ideas for a good pin ?

skil circle jig (pin goes in one of the 2 holes):

IMG_0327.jpg

only useful for big circles. smallest diameter ~8 inches. also, the pin isn't very stable :(

I have a few homemade ones, but all out of cheap flat board.

HMMM never seen one before

<<<NEWB

and it looks hella usefull.

J

I too have a homemade one - out of masonite. Similar to the Jasper. Wish I could use the Jasper but my router won't fit it...

For a pin you can snag one of those metal pins you see in cheap tv/stereo cabinets. Home Depot sells them in the nail/screw/misc section.

Got a dull drill bit you don't use anymore ? Could always use it . That's what I use on the homemade jig I have . Works quite well . :)

no Home Depot in Romania :P

but there is something similar. and it's a 15 mins walk from my house. i'll see what i can find tomorrow. hope to finish it. i still need some VERY short wood screws to attach the metal rods to the T part and some normal screws for the other part of the jig...

Got a dull drill bit you don't use anymore ? Could always use it . That's what I use on the homemade jig I have . Works quite well . :)

That would work.

It's how us old bass heads use to cut perfect circles before the days of the jaspers . :D

I just used.............well a jigsaw..............drill a decent hole in the middle and jig it out.............the I discovered some contraption that some people call a a "router". I think its Latin.........Either way it cuts cirles rather well. More accuratly and more proper.

J

i have quite a few dull drill bits.

IMG_0353.jpg

screws were too long. i had to grind them off. angle grinder action ftw :)

IMG_0355.jpg

pin and bottom of the T-part. Ramos, thanks a million for the idea.

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

how it attaches to the router :

IMG_0359.jpg

smallest radius :

IMG_0363.jpg

biggest radius :

IMG_0364.jpg

i was lucky 2 screws fit. i fuxored the pattern because i rushed :(

IMG_0367.jpg

it's very stable compared to the "stock" jig. no worries about adjusting the radius. i guess i achieved my goals of stability and wide-range radiuses.

price tag : less than .5$

if this jig self-destructs, i'm going to build the next one out of some stiff plastic.

That's a pretty good way to get the smaller radius'.

Hell, even a new one I just use what is close by.

I to have a home made on ...its a tape measure with 3 holes in it

1 hole at the 1 inch mark

1 hole at the 8 inch mark (for 15 inch subs)

1 hole at the 6 1/2 inch mark (for 12 inch subs)

Put a nail in the hole at the 1 inch mark, pull out tape to what hole u want to cut, place sharpie in that hole and spin around!! works perfect.

Put a nail in the hole at the 1 inch mark, pull out tape to what hole u want to cut, place sharpie in that hole and spin around!! works perfect.

i can't imagine how to attach a router to a tape measure. and i also need to cut holes for tweeters and mids. not just subs.

i can't imagine how to attach a router to a tape measure. and i also need to cut holes for tweeters and mids. not just subs.

This is not for a router, This works with a jigsaw. This will also work for tweeters ...just make another hole for the pen/marker, or try another method. Like I said this is my method I use

Hell, even a new one I just use what is close by.

I'm to the point now , that I use an 1/8" bit with the jasper instead of the pin . It seems to fit a little snugger . :)