Sign in to follow this  
ronnie_jackson

Q18 questions.

I want to purchase 2 of the Q18's for an attic mounted IB line array in my home theater. I am a member of the "IB cult" and AVS forums and I understand you guys can do some custom mods on these to gear them specifically for IB installations.

I will be running them on a Behringer EP2500 amp and using the DSP1124p feeback destroyer pro. For 2 of these in an array config, what ohm rating, voice coil type, and wiring config would you guys suggest I use?

I sent a few emails over the last 7-10 days, but cannot get a response so I thought I would post here.

Any feedback or help would be much appreciated. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks in advance,

Ronnie

Scott's slammed busy with the emails.

I'm not totally familiar with that amp, but a good rule of thumb for power in IB is 6-800 watts per sub, no more is needed.

Thanks Nick.

What is it you guys do to tweak these out during the build for IB installations? Everyone is telling me not to order the standard ones from the website because they need some changes made to them for IB.

The EP2500 has the following option for power:

750w @ 4ohm x 2 channels

1200w @ 2ohm x 2 channels

bridged mono:

1500w @ 8ohm

2400w @ 4ohm

What voice coil config and ohm rating would you suggest for the above using 2 18" Q series

Also, Once I have all the technical details out of the way, how do I order these?

Ronnie

If you want to use it in a stereo type scenario, you could simply get the dual 2ohm coils and wire it at a 4ohm nominal load per channel...

Shoot me an email Nick@ficaraudio.com

I'll explain the ordering process for the HT/IB stuff, we do it a little different because we like seeing different things done especially in HT use.

Thanks

-Nick

The mods for the IB subs are a change in spiders and normally wiring the subs to a single coil for ease of wiring up in the attics ;

We can do either a S4 or S2 coil for them. With 2400W on tap, you would kill a pair of them if you are not careful. You will reach Xmax at 20Hz with about 600W... so most people max out at about 800W per sub. Youd have 1200W... so you would really need to dial things in with the DSP to make sure that they wont be seeing that on the bottom end. Im a big fan of headroom if used properly... and you will have plenty of it.

Or, simply get the S4 subs and run them mono at 8 Ohms... 750 each and you would have the ability to add another 2 subs and wire to a single 4 Ohm load for all 4 subs. Make a manifold for 4 subs the first time and block off two of them. Worst case you never use them... best case, you will need to repair drywall if you do ;)

Sorry for the mail delay. Ill be back on all the emails later today. Rather hectic lately and using up the last 3 days getting the CNC rolling again has taken its toll time wise too.

Thanks,

Scott

Sign in to follow this