Sign in to follow this  
Z1truth

Another NOOB question. Secure the wiring in sealed box?

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

This is my basic wiring diagram for my pair of D2 10" Q's. I have a dual chamber box w/t .60 cuft in each chamber. Since the terminals are on the left and right side of the subs and I have to connect the subs in both chambers (run wires thru commom middle wall and seal with silicone).............I was wondering is it OK to let the wires just hang free in the box or maybe secure them so they don't just flop around????

I noticed there are little tabs on the baskets, both on the top and bottom. Would it be alright to zip strip the +/- DVC connecting wire that will go over the top of the subs basket to that tab? Or should I just let it free hang??????

Just want to do it right the first time guys!

You don't NEED to run through the common wall in the enclosure...

In fact i recommend you don't in case you decide to upgrade to individual amps for each sub..

what you can do is wire the coils on the sub as it is shown

Then wire it to the terminal cup on the enclosure..

THEN you can run the amp +/- to the left side terminal cup then from that terminal cup over to the right side terminal cup... OR you can just run two sets of wires from your amp one set goes to the left side and the other to the right side..

the wires shouldn't be audible if it is slapping in the enclosure especially since this is a sealed enclosure, i wouldn't worry much about it but you can zip it to the little "nub" on the basket if you want.

Edited by theabunai

When the subs are slammin......do the baskets get hot, like real hot maybe ......enough to melt the wire jackets??????

since they're sealed are you using polyfill? if so that should stop any vibration noise you'd have anyway, but I would take theabunais advice on wiring outside the box.

since they're sealed are you using polyfill? if so that should stop any vibration noise you'd have anyway, but I would take theabunais advice on wiring outside the box.

The whole idea that I was trying to convey was that, IF the wires flopped around is it better to secure them so they don't come loose.

I will probably loosely zip strip the wire that goes between the +/- to that tab on top, as long as it doesn't hopefully get too hot????? Anyone?

But yeah, now I will use the 2 terminal cups on each side and just wire both up to my KX2500.1 amp. Douh! :thanx:

I keep hearing or seeing people mention polyfill......I haven't looked it up, does someone want to enlighten me as to what it does for a sealed box setup. Or maybe point me to a weblink???? I'd be very appreciative!!!!! :fing34:

Edited by Z1truth

Hmm i don't know if the basket gets hot but i seriously don't think so...

Most car audio wire is thermal resistant and if the basket is hot enough to melt the wire then something is wrong with the sub IMHO (an assumption of course)..

I wouldn't worry too much about wires flopping around if you are worried about it just be sure the wire is short enough when you wire the coils to NOT touch the ground... It should be fine...

Ployfill tricks the sub into thinking it is in a bigger enclosure than it is

example

say your sub enclosure is .93cuft and the manufacturer recommends 1.0cuft, then instead of building a new box you can add polyfill to it to trick the sub into thinking it is in a 1.0 box...

I do believe (someone correct me if i'm wrong here) the polyfill increases the Damping AND in turn increases subwoofer efficiency by dissipating some energy that affects the sub (mainly the voice coil).

sorry but i really don't know how to measure polyfill to make an exact conclusion as to how much to get x result...

but here is some good reading

http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures...ae_speaker_box/

also when the site gets back up try here

http://www.the12volt.com/

Edited by theabunai

x2, 'tricks' the sub into thinking it's in a bigger box. If you decide to go w/ it you can pick up a huge bag of it at walmart in the crafts section-it's the stuff they put in quilts for stuffing. Fairly cheap too.

Edited by tejcurrent

Probably won't use the polyfill then as my box is .70cuft per chamber and the 10" Q's need for .20 to .60 cuft space per sub. I talked with Scott and he said that he likes .50 to .60 BEFORE the sub is in or in other words without the subs volume included. So I'm going to makes a .10-.15cuft block and mount it it at the back of the box since it is fairly deep.

So I guess there is no need for poly here LOL! :P

Sign in to follow this