Sign in to follow this  
emh9009

2011 GTI active double din

Hey guys! Looking for help on picking a new head unit. I've found a few, but want to see what the experts have to say or what else can be found.

Will be installed in a 2011 GTI. No steering wheel controls. Base model.

Requirements:

Internal active crossovers
Somehow able to mirror or have a really clean connection with my Android phone to where I can use apps like spotify and google maps on the unit. Don't want to have to touch my phone while driving.
Double Din
Dial volume knob, preferably one that "clicks" for each volume tick
Ability to hook up back up camera
Doesn't look too crazy
Possible to keep it under $400?

I don't care about CD playback, different color choices are nice.

I've been looking at this, but it doesn't have the volume knob. No biggie, but wanted to see if there was anything else out there that can compare.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/MVH-2300NEX

I've read both good and bad about their x-over systems. Heard they're just a DEH80-prs in a double din box, but also that they're no good and shouldn't be used. I want to keep the x-over system internal just for ease of install and use. If not internal I'd go with a mini-DSP 2x4 from what I've found. Is this really that much better?

Thanks in advance! :rockwoot:

Edited by emh9009

We have the 4800BT in one of the SSA demo vehicles.  Its pretty nice overall, but has tripped up from time to time and has occasional issues connecting, as well as the Spotify app not working anymore.  I give it a 7.5 out of 10 if that means anything.  If I was the only person driving that car, I would have gone with an advanced single din or unearthed my 880 PRS.

That's not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the feedback on that one, Aaron. That's similar to what I'm dealing with my current unit- takes for ever to connect to my phone so I just do it manually EVERY time. Also just random connection drops and have to disable BT and reconnect manually again. How do you like the crossover features on that 4800bt?

I gave up and separated the crossovers from the headunit.  Wish I didn't have to but a year ago the operating systems in all the active ones were slow and Crap.

19 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I gave up and separated the crossovers from the headunit.  Wish I didn't have to but a year ago the operating systems in all the active ones were slow and Crap.

I was hoping you would chime in, and figured that's what you would say haha 

Which external crossover would you say is the most user friendly? I've seen the mini DSP thrown around a bit, any others out there to take a look at?

For $200 I got a Stetsom STX2436 sound processor.  It's bluetooth and I control it from an app on my phone.  The crossovers are the best part with slopes from 6 to 48 db, programable frequencies, and a multitude of crossover types (butterworth, etc).  It does have limited eq features however, only 11 bands graphic and 1 programmable parametric.  Also, it's only 2 channels so I'm running my Evil tweeters and Evil mids (LOVE the results) but I have no eq controls on my XCON 10". 

I didn't choose user friendly...mine requires a PC.  Of course, I used to have a PC in my car so then it was user friendly.  I am also rather okay with setting it up and not adjusting.  I don't make my tune such that it colors the sound much and while different recordings aren't all great the onboard eq is enough for those changes.  I bought a Kenwood...but this is over a year ago.  The reason I bought the Kenwood is that I have 3000 albums that I've ripped to a hard drive and no one else could index them and play off of it.  Last year they also had the fastest processor, boot time, and least lag.  Lag is the thing that drives me nuts.  Smooth Android Auto integration as well.  Not sure what I'd buy today, but if nothing changed I am happy with what I have.

12 hours ago, SS Teacher said:

For $200 I got a Stetsom STX2436 sound processor.  It's bluetooth and I control it from an app on my phone.  The crossovers are the best part with slopes from 6 to 48 db, programable frequencies, and a multitude of crossover types (butterworth, etc).  It does have limited eq features however, only 11 bands graphic and 1 programmable parametric.  Also, it's only 2 channels so I'm running my Evil tweeters and Evil mids (LOVE the results) but I have no eq controls on my XCON 10". 

I'll check their line-up. Would be nice to have sub amp incorporated as well. Thanks for the heads up! :fing34:

11 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I didn't choose user friendly...mine requires a PC.  Of course, I used to have a PC in my car so then it was user friendly.  I am also rather okay with setting it up and not adjusting.  I don't make my tune such that it colors the sound much and while different recordings aren't all great the onboard eq is enough for those changes.  I bought a Kenwood...but this is over a year ago.  The reason I bought the Kenwood is that I have 3000 albums that I've ripped to a hard drive and no one else could index them and play off of it.  Last year they also had the fastest processor, boot time, and least lag.  Lag is the thing that drives me nuts.  Smooth Android Auto integration as well.  Not sure what I'd buy today, but if nothing changed I am happy with what I have.

Having to use a laptop doesn't bother me at all. As long as the program isn't too difficult to navigate I'm ok to set and forget. I don't plan to get too crazy detailed on this, I'm easy to please.

I use a miniDSP for my front stage and the Kenwood DDX9903 headunit for the sub.  Means I only have a crossover for the sub and no eq, but I am running sealed anyways and have it pretty gained down as even with a beefy 7" mid blending the midbass is the limitation.