Sign in to follow this  
Wanger35

15" SSD + Flatwind Review

Hey guys,

Well as expected, when I got home from school there was a present waiting for me from Fi.

SubwooferBox077.jpg

Customer Service

First off, I would like to thank Scott, Nick, and all the guys "behinde the sceens" at Fi. They helped me from the day I wanted an Fi, untill the day it as on my doorstep. Although they are very busy, they still make sure you get your questions answered.

10/10 A+

SubwooferBox081.jpg

Shipping/Packaging

As expected, Fi is very busy with their evergrowing popularity. My 2-3 day rated build time took about 7 days. When it did come, the packaging was great. The sub was not going anywhere with the blue hard foam (see pics), and it was very secure. Box was not damaged at all, and overall, the sub came in perfect condition.

9/10 A-

SubwooferBox078.jpg

SubwooferBox079.jpg

Install

All in all, the install went well. I built my box the week before recieving the subs, so they would be ready when it came in. I also used the same amp as my last set-up, so that was ready. After getting a few diagrams of how to wire it, it was a very painless process (pretty rare in car audio installs ). The only difficult part about the install was mounting the sub. It did not come with mounting screws, and it was pretty hard to find screws thin enough to fit through the hole, yet not go through the wood. 3 stores and a couple stores later, I found some that would work. The magnets are very heavy, so it wasn't going anywhere, but when I bumped it up pretty high the sub started to move around in its sub up, port out location. I mounted it and that was that.

9/10 A-

SubwooferBox082.jpg

Now to the Woofer...

Sound Quality

I heard some member refer to the SSD as beefy... and I could not agree more. It hits lows so well. My box is tunned to 33hz, and it rattles like crazy. True story, I was driving home from work, and I decieded to turn it up about 2/3 of the way, im driving for about 5 seconds, and my rear view mirror falls off. How many single 15" set-ups can do that? The cone moves so well, very crisp and sharp, not a tone gets past this guy. The best SQ I have heard on a sub that gets that loud.

10/10 A+

SubwooferBox076.jpg

Loudness/SPL

There is definately no lack in loudness to make up for great SQ. the $$D gets very loud on my a8002v amp. The port blows out air like it is it's job. I have already goten pulled over twice for a "noise violation" but fortuanely the cops were cool (one being my friends dad), and just asked to check out the system. On songs like "Da Blow" and "Woofer Cooker", my friends turned down the volume because "My d/-\mn ears are going to blow up!!!", AKA, just the reaction I was looking for :fing34: . I got the extra flatwind so it could handle a little more, but this sub is so solid, and if you are giving it rated power, you may just be fine. I did it because I like to mess with bass boost, and I may upgrade my amp in the summer. For a daily sub, there is nothing better.

10/10 A+

~I will let a video at 1/2 volume speak for itself, (even though videos can't capture good subwoofer sq)~

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/KO...ooferBox080.flv

Overall grade: 9.6/10 for a Solid A :djparty:

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

KO

Edited by Wanger35

How big is your box?

What options does the sub have?

How much power is it getting?

AWESOME!!!

The SSD is getting 800 rms recomended) to it now.

The box is 36 wide 21 deep and 15.5 high. It is 3.5 cubes tuned to 33 hz.

The only options that are avalible for the SSD are flatwind and coper coil. You obviously cant get both, and like the review said I got flatwind.

And sorry, no pictures of the motor, but it's the same as the one on the site.

Awsome man, glad to hear everything is great. Also they sub will get louder, and a little better SQ over the next couple weeks to month, depending on how you pound on it. So still good things to come!

Yes very nice build. I will do a follow up video at 1/2 again, and then a little more to see what your talking about Shawn. Can't wait to show it off at school tomorow!

just don't show it off too much or else you will come out of school to meet our all so hated common enemy, a broken rear window and trashed car.

Yea I know what you mean, just off to the side with my friends, but the way this thing gets, im going to have to be a block away for nobody else hears it.

Yea the sticker looks nice, representing the Fi.

Yeah, as far as theft I'd invest in a good alarm if you don't have one.

I was reading about people in the area having their stuff stolen, and went outside one day and saw hand prints on the glass from someone cupping their face to see in. I went and got another layer of tint (5% + the first layer of 20%) all the way around. It's almost impossible to see in the car from sides/rear now, and no more hand prints either. Kinda makes me feel gansta ;)

Congrats on the setup!

Edited by tejcurrent

Glad we could help ya out, hope you enjoy the sub!

Nice review bro...you said best sq woofer you have ever heard(that gets that loud), what woofer(s) can you camper it with?

Yea, I can't wait untill it is fully broken in. I pushed on the cone a little when I first got it, and then again tonight, and I can tell it is losening up a lot, should be ready and fully broken in by spring break!

And ghost, to be honest not a whole lot, a pair of RF p1's, sonys, CVR's and CVX's. SO not to great of competition but IMO, they blow them all away by far.

Sign in to follow this