CJW

How to clean subwoofer motor for recone?

I have a 03 Re Audio SE motor. I plan to use this as a learning experiance. I am in contact with Nick@fi about getting parts to build it into a 15.

Anyway, I was wondering how people go about cleaning the CA off the top plate? I tried scraping it but that got me nowhere especially with the magnetic field pulling on it. Is there anything that breaks down CA glue that won't harm the motor?

Also I cleaned the gap with sticky notes and a skinny wooden rule with masking tape on it. Is there any other ways I don't know about for future refference? The gap is clean and taped up now but it was a PIA. The SE was a 10 previously and suffered from coil rub. And it had shavings inside the gap like crazy.

Thanks

Josh

Normally I just scrape off the CA with a putty knife or something similar and it has worked for me on several different speakers.

Do you know why the previous coil rubbed? When I hear that, my first concern is that the gap may be misaligned and reconing would you get you no further.

The guy I bought it from was clearly an idiot.

First he thought it was an HC. The HC has a very large top plate and is wider in general. Second he cracked the dustcap, it was just a paper cap no big deal, said it was 'blown apart' from the power. To fix said 'blown apart' dustcap he took a peice of oddly shaped fleece and did the worst fiberglass job on it I ever saw. But I knew all this going into it. I bought it because I wanted an SE motor.

All in all I believe it was user error. The motor looks centered and no magnets are shifted.

I've tried scrapping it with a razor with no luck

OK I suppose I will try that tonight.

Any less PIA ways to clean the gap? If not then I suppose I will continue the sticky note and tape method. I've seen it done quite a bit, haven't seen any other ways

I am gonna be doing my first soon..............I am the excited.

LOTS of pics

J

I'm pretty excited too. It seems like something fun to do. It'll be nice to have something I can say I built.

Why is there any glue on the motor itself? The only glue on that should be on the magnets. None of the moving parts are glued to the motor, so I don't understand.

Why is there any glue on the motor itself? The only glue on that should be on the magnets. None of the moving parts are glued to the motor, so I don't understand.

Well. Basket.

Spider and Surround landing smartie...

;)

nG

Oh, top plate.

Lol.

I don't understand what he's talking about either then? He's getting a new basket... so he shouldn't have to worry about the motor at all except the debris in the gap ;).

nG

RE glued the basket to the motor's top plate. It was a b!tch to get apart. It looks like their black CA glue. That is the glue I am trying to get off of the motor.

And yea I am getting a new basket and don't have to worry about any of the landings

if you could hit the gap wth some compressed air it'd probably be a lot quicker than the tape method

Hmm, yea I suppose that could be a quicker way... I'll give it a try on my tc9 motor

Not sure if it will get metal shavings out though. There are none in the tc9 but there was in the SE...which was partially my fault. Didn't cover the gap as I was turning out the screws on the basket. I slipped on one of the screws and then shards were in the gap. There was some smaller shavings in there too.

I got the motor cleaned off completely. Light sanding and nail polish remover cleaned it off easily.

I also ordered 15" claw baskets from Tirefryr which I'm going to strip/clean, re coat, and use.

Hopefully in the next day or so I will be ordering my softparts :-)