Sign in to follow this  
flakko

Can someone shed some light?

i recently finnished this anime series called the "melancholy of haruhi suzumiya" although it may look stoopid, its very good. anyways the series brought up some topics that have been racking my brain for the past year or so. what im going to copy and paste is just my random thoughts on time travel. a few of the thoughts may be out of place, but i just typed what came out of my head at the time:

"This series is insane. it has like every genre of anime there is to offer. It reminds me of SE Lain mixed with Kare Kano mixed with Beck, mixed with Fate Stay Night, mixed with some crazy space anime. I dont think i have ever laughed so much in an anime, outside of Furi Kuri which is in itself a whole crapload of randomness. it is rediculously funny. WIthin M of HS's light hearted exterior lies a very deep, thought provoking story line taken right out of one of a few of Einstein and Aristotles lectures. I consider myself somewhat of a pro at reading subtitles, but trying to read the subtitles for me was VERY VERY tough due to the philisophical and astrophysical statements being spoken in Japanese. Its like one minute is a fun comical moment, and the next is a conversation considering the existence of an Omnipresent being creating the world to its desire, or explaining the time-space continium.

The thought of time travel really interests me and as in Fate Stay Night, 12 monkeys, The Terminator Trilogy got me thinking...can you go back in time and kill yourself? better yet can you change the future? I mean its like if I as a child was the reason for world war 3 and caused the whole world to blow up, and there was a chance for me to go back in time and kill myself and prevent the war, could i do it? If i actually succeeded in killing myself, would my adult form cease to exist, because in order for me to become an adult, i needed to be a child. (thought created from watching Fate-Stay Night) Can my past self travel to the future to kill my future self?

Lets say I succeeded in killing my child self when i went back in time, and my adult form was still in existence...could it be possible that in every period of time, there is a new "me" being created? In 12 monkeys bruce willis saw his adult self die as a child. Could an individual be next to himself? For example, lets say i wanted to go back in time 1 year, I can see and meet myself 1 year ago...however, meeting myself 1 year ago would already have happened 1 year ago. Would i have a memory of me meeting myself when the me 1 year ago becomes the current me? Lets say my past self and my present self kept in contact for that year, and my present self did not die...would there be 2 of me at the time I traveled back in time to meet myself? or would history have changed because I changed the events in my previous self's life, and the present timeline would now have 2 mes? Lets say my my present self DID in fact die within the course of that year (ala 12 monkeys)...My past self would now be my present self, and the fact that i had the memory of meeting myself and seeing my self die..."

and thats when my brain started to hurt. so yea any thoughts would be nice :)

$0.02. YMMV, to be taken with grain of salt, etc.

To move matter through time would require the energy to shield the matter from the effects of time. If moving matter through time is possible then time is also governed by something bound to matter. Much like magnetism (magnetons) and gravity (gravitons). In which case, you wouldn't move yourself back through time, but rather you would move time itself backwards while shielding yourself from the effects of backwards moving "chronotons".

To do so would indeed allow yourself to travel back in time to kill yourself. However, once you did, because you've moved time itself around you and shielded yourself from the effects, the future you knew is no more, at least not yet if you don't change anything. You would still exist, your child self, now dead, would be dead. Because you as an adult were shielded from the effects of moving chronotons you would retain the childhood you already lived since you already lived it.

Catch that?

Also, since chronotons would be bound in matter, it'd also be possible to do the same thing to any kind of matter. You could "stop" time for a person, place, even a planet. You could adjust the flow of time to make a day on your planet a million years on another, and the affected planets would have no clue apart from some really messed up constellation patterns. Also, the fact that you'd have a day/night cycle every few milliseconds would provide a constant light level. Actually since the light waves would travel slower in this "time bubble" you'd have a very high level of light (it would build up) and could risk frying the planet, although this would take so long that it's hard to think of.

Edited by Scarenius

$0.02. YMMV, to be taken with grain of salt, etc.

To move matter through time would require the energy to shield the matter from the effects of time. If moving matter through time is possible then time is also governed by something bound to matter. Much like magnetism (magnetons) and gravity (gravitons). In which case, you wouldn't move yourself back through time, but rather you would move time itself backwards while shielding yourself from the effects of backwards moving "chronotons".

To do so would indeed allow yourself to travel back in time to kill yourself. However, once you did, because you've moved time itself around you and shielded yourself from the effects, the future you knew is no more, at least not yet if you don't change anything. You would still exist, your child self, now dead, would be dead. Because you as an adult were shielded from the effects of moving chronotons you would retain the childhood you already lived since you already lived it.

Catch that?

Also, since chronotons would be bound in matter, it'd also be possible to do the same thing to any kind of matter. You could "stop" time for a person, place, even a planet. You could adjust the flow of time to make a day on your planet a million years on another, and the affected planets would have no clue apart from some really messed up constellation patterns. Also, the fact that you'd have a day/night cycle every few milliseconds would provide a constant light level. Actually since the light waves would travel slower in this "time bubble" you'd have a very high level of light (it would build up) and could risk frying the planet, although this would take so long that it's hard to think of.

depends on what theory you believe, the best example i've seen of time travel is in stargate sg1,basicly, if you go into the past and change the future and cause yourself to never exist, you would still exist in the past but not in the future. basicly, you would alter the current timeline, but you would be preserved since you are already in the past.

Sounds like you need to read Stephen Hawkins A Brief History of Time.

Has one chapter dedicated to the discussion of time and another dedicated to the discussion of wormholes and time travel.

I have personally found Stephen Hawkins to be full of it, but I'll give his writings another shot.