Sign in to follow this  
UNIT 6639

BL 10"

I am thinking of putting my BL 10" in my 12" fiberglass box. I want to cut a new baffel to drop into the 12" cut out for the BL to mount to.

I am wondering if I will damage the sub being the box is bigger then recommended, I think FI recommends 1.2 max, I dont know how much the box will be after displacement.

I am going to be powering it off a RE 12.1 1200 watts rms. What would you guys suggest? I am contemplating doing this because my 1.2 cuft box is flipping over when I mount the sub inverted.

It wont drop into the cutout because the basket and terminals are just touching, also, the fiberglass box is MUCH lighter than my MDF box.

Let me know what you guys think.

I don't think it would damage your sub to do this, but it wont sound the same as it would in the proper size box. If you fill in the bottom of the box with some scrap wood you could bring it down to 1.2 cubes. I'd do that.

I don't think it would damage your sub to do this, but it wont sound the same as it would in the proper size box. If you fill in the bottom of the box with some scrap wood you could bring it down to 1.2 cubes. I'd do that.

What kind of sound would I get if I dont bring it down to the proper size?

Here's a for instance: my brother has a 12" BL. We put it in 1.1cu net ported @ 32hz. It gets those low notes very well, but it peaks pretty bad. It doesn't have the 'punchiness' that it most def. should, in fact it doesn't sound as 'punchy' as my 18" BTLs do with the proper air space. He's going way under the recommended specs till he can build a new box, and that's what has happened. I'm not sure of what you doing to opposite will sound like, but this is just an example. If you just resin in one board you could screw some more in to that to get the proper air space.

I have seen quite a few drivers play in oversized boxes, even some fi x's. Really, you are going to gain a good amount of efficiency. This means you wont need as much power for it to reach its limits. In an oversized box, too, you will be getting some insane low end. The box will generally play a little flatter but you wont have exactly tight bass compared to one in a smaller box.

I have seen quite a few drivers play in oversized boxes, even some fi x's. Really, you are going to gain a good amount of efficiency. This means you wont need as much power for it to reach its limits. In an oversized box, too, you will be getting some insane low end. The box will generally play a little flatter but you wont have exactly tight bass compared to one in a smaller box.

Low end is what I am looking for, I am not to concerned with tight bass, I have another sub and box that I can use for that if I want to switch up a little.

I will try it out the way it is and decide from there, I will be sure to watch the gains, it will be getting 1200 rms from a 12.1, as soon as the amp gets here, supposed to be here on Wednesday :D

Sign in to follow this