katsooba

15Q sealed question

hey guys , i recently ordered 2 15 Q's , am going to run them off of a single SAZ-1500D , with 1500rms to both subs.

i want to build the box before the subs get here , and had to ask for advice

i noticed on the Fi website that the recommended size for each Q15 is 2-2.6 CF.

i can give each 2.5CF .

will i get good lows? will i lose anything? not enough power to them?

im not planning a LOUD LOUD system .. just loud and clear;)

thanks.

Eli.

5 cuft for the pair yields a .81 Qtc and an F3 around 35 hz. Most peole tend to like a Qtc above .7... actually many like .9 or more... but I feel that it is mostly due to the lack of integration to a weaker front midbass. If you have some ballsier front midbasses, then you can deal with a lower Qtc and an overall smoother integration and response.

I prefer lower Qtc alignments, but I always have a strong midbass upfront. It should make for a nice SQ setup...

Thanks,

Scott

5 cuft for the pair yields a .81 Qtc and an F3 around 35 hz. Most peole tend to like a Qtc above .7... actually many like .9 or more... but I feel that it is mostly due to the lack of integration to a weaker front midbass. If you have some ballsier front midbasses, then you can deal with a lower Qtc and an overall smoother integration and response.

I prefer lower Qtc alignments, but I always have a strong midbass upfront. It should make for a nice SQ setup...

Thanks,

Scott

thanks for the fast reply

im pretty sure my front stage would carry the bass forward

so basically i need to build a bigger box? i can squeeze about 3cf per subs in my car, would this get me better results?

im looking for good linearity at at the low ends , about 30hz is what im looking for, while still remaining in a sealed box.

thank you for the quick answer Scott

Eli.

Larger will lower the Qtc of the system and yield a little more "natural" sounding bass. But "natural" is much more of my personal sonic opinion and preference than anything.

3 cuft will lower things slightly... but for the extra cuft of enclosure and the gain of .6 dB at 20Hz, I dont think its worth it. Not too mention that by adding up to 1lb of polyfill per cuft of enclosure you can "add" about 17% extra apparent box volume as well. So at that point, your 5 cuft will act pretty close to 6 cuft.

In all honesty you wont hear much of a difference between the two alignements. And with a standard vehciles transfer fucntion (cabin gain) you will have a very smooth overall setup with a nice tilt up towards the bottom end.

Thanks,

Scott

Larger will lower the Qtc of the system and yield a little more "natural" sounding bass. But "natural" is much more of my personal sonic opinion and preference than anything.

3 cuft will lower things slightly... but for the extra cuft of enclosure and the gain of .6 dB at 20Hz, I dont think its worth it. Not too mention that by adding up to 1lb of polyfill per cuft of enclosure you can "add" about 17% extra apparent box volume as well. So at that point, your 5 cuft will act pretty close to 6 cuft.

In all honesty you wont hear much of a difference between the two alignements. And with a standard vehciles transfer fucntion (cabin gain) you will have a very smooth overall setup with a nice tilt up towards the bottom end.

Thanks,

Scott

Thank you very much Scott !

realy good tips you gave me there

i need to get the subs to get to know them better , and maybe change a few boxes and see what they can do while sealed ;) maybe ABC box will come eventually;) who knows

i drive a Honda CRV 98 , and have about 10CF i can spare if i must ;) but im trying to keep it below the window line

i can already see myself building 5 different boxes for the subs

mmmm chocolate MDF :D

:thanx:

been awhile , just thought of updating with some old pics i have from the box build at one of my friends garages.

i will let the pix do the talking , just playing around with the subs.

DSCF0055-1.jpg

DSCF0058-1.jpg

P7250012.jpg

my friend thinks about why do i need two 15"s

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

just purdy

DSCF0052.jpg

teh ghetto terminal inspired by one of the Fi members [thank you!]

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

teh Q standing next to my 10" Morel Elate midbass!

P6260005.jpg

P7250023.jpg

and a short short vid to finish.

th_247b979b.jpg

thanks all ;)