Sign in to follow this  
UNIT 6639

Can FI recone an eD e12k dvc 2ohm

I have an old e12k "blue e cone" DVC 2 ohm, I am hoping I can recone it, its still working and sounds good butI want to renew it I guess, I read somewhere that these were made by RE, so I was hoping I could get an FI recone kit and do it.

If this is possible, what could I recone it to? Would the recone kit basicly change the sub into an FI like sub? Or would I need to have a new motor for that?

Anybody have any info?

Edited by UNIT 6639

It has a 2.5" coil, do not think they carry a 2.5" coil ATM.

I used to own a pair... good little subs.

nG

I seem to know a thing or two about that one. Im sure I have a coil that would work somewhere. Ill check tomorrow in the dark corners of the shop. I know I have a couple of the D4s and I think an S4 (same as the D2 just not split in half). Other than that, I do have the correct spiders and cone to do it too.

Thanks,

Scott

I seem to know a thing or two about that one. Im sure I have a coil that would work somewhere. Ill check tomorrow in the dark corners of the shop. I know I have a couple of the D4s and I think an S4 (same as the D2 just not split in half). Other than that, I do have the correct spiders and cone to do it too.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott, if you do find the items needed to recone my sub, could you pm me a shipped to 26851 quote for the kit? This sub is OLD!!! but still works, I was sitting on my basement couch looking at my BL 10" sitting next to the e12k and the thought hit me that they look similar, so then I thought hey maybe FI could sell me a recone kit for the e12k and I could have a new sub!

Scott, guys, help me understand, if this sub or any sub has a certain size coil, for instance, this one has a 2.5, it cant be reconed to a bigger coil?

So, I am limited to only reconing it to another 2.5" coil right, ok , if thats so, will I gain anything(sound/performance wise) by reconing it besides the new FI cone.

It could use a new cone anyway because the dust cap was pushed in, it was repaired with but the cap has creases in it. Would I gain anything with the spiders Scott mentioned.

And if it turns out Scott does not have coils for it, could I just pickup the cone and spiders from FI and just add those to the coils that came with the sub in its original configuration?

Thanks Scott and NG for replying. Waiting on your reply Scott so I can send monies to you for the kit :D

Scott, I forgot to ask, would I be limited to reconing it to only D4? I was hoping to get it reconed to D2 so it could pull the full power from my amp at 1 ohm.

If not, D4 it is!

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott, if you do find the items needed to recone my sub, could you pm me a shipped to 26851 quote for the kit? This sub is OLD!!! but still works, I was sitting on my basement couch looking at my BL 10" sitting next to the e12k and the thought hit me that they look similar, so then I thought hey maybe FI could sell me a recone kit for the e12k and I could have a new sub!

Scott, guys, help me understand, if this sub or any sub has a certain size coil, for instance, this one has a 2.5, it cant be reconed to a bigger coil?

So, I am limited to only reconing it to another 2.5" coil right, ok , if thats so, will I gain anything(sound/performance wise) by reconing it besides the new FI cone.

It could use a new cone anyway because the dust cap was pushed in, it was repaired with but the cap has creases in it. Would I gain anything with the spiders Scott mentioned.

And if it turns out Scott does not have coils for it, could I just pickup the cone and spiders from FI and just add those to the coils that came with the sub in its original configuration?

Thanks Scott and NG for replying. Waiting on your reply Scott so I can send monies to you for the kit :D

You'd be pretty much limited to a drop in kit.

If the coil is still in tact, technically you could use it. But disassembling the woofer... and still keeping the coil/former in tact to be used again would be quite a task. More headache than it is really worth in my opinion. Not to mention, you would need to know how to properly assemble it from scratch... such as aligning the spiders correctly... cone... and being able to attatch tinsel lead of the coil leads at the top of the former (if you could even keep them in tact after diassembly). :(.

My pair of e12k's is still going strong in a friends install... well over 4 years later :).

Good luck with you search!

nG

Well that didnt sound too inspiring :puzzled: , anyway, if all I can opt for is a drop in kit, thats fine! My e12k is in fine working order as it is, I just want a recone for it to "renew" it.

Hey Scott, were you able to find anything for me for this sub, I kind of put it on the back burner but I want to see about this again.

Yes, I can come up with a kit for them. I have to dig deep to find the original coil specs, but I have a couple of 2.5" coils that work based off of the drawings I have of that motor.

Thanks,

Scott

Yes, I can come up with a kit for them. I have to dig deep to find the original coil specs, but I have a couple of 2.5" coils that work based off of the drawings I have of that motor.

Thanks,

Scott

Great, if you could pm me with the price when you get the kit together. Thanks alot.

Sign in to follow this