Sign in to follow this  
the727kid

New Tinsel Leads

Alright first off, thanks Scott for the help. But I am a newb when it comes to working on the actual subs. How exactly do I chance these leads?

PS: These extreme leads are pretty thick compared to the regular ones lol

I know how I'd do it, actually I just did it today.

It's quite a job, if done right... the way I did it...

nG

If you cant hook up with Shawn, have him give you my super secret hotline and Ill walk you through it.

Thanks,

Scott

Any more info lol?

Personally, I surgically removed the dust cap. I taped off the gap. Then with my set of precision cutters I carefully removed all the CA glue from around where the coil lead and tinsels are soldered together. I desoldered the tinsel leads and carefully removed them. Also, desoldered the rest of the leads from the speaker terminal.

Then, When I received my new tinsels. I made each length even, slid them through the existing hole in the cone, and carefully wrapped the coil lead around each tinsel. Then soldered each tinsel real well. After that I coated each one in a gob of CA glue.

Tested both coils with a 9V battery. Soldered the tinsels onto the terminals. Replaced dustcap with goop.

There ya go ;).

nG

Thanks Noah... that about sums it all up. Its not a difficult process, just takes a little patience with the dustcap removal. Trick to that is to take a new sharp razor blade and lightly (VERY lightly) score right around the dustcap glue joint where it meets the cone. This is your insurance that when you remove the dustcap that it doesnt rip and shread the coating on the front of the cone along with it.

I take a screwdriver and wap the dustcap with it to crack it. Then carefully pull the pieces off trying to not remove the glue from the cone... leaving the glue on the cone will allow you to use a super thin amount of super glue to put it back on and it will often simply click in place back into the original location with ease.

Thanks,

Scott

Sounds like a worth wile pain in the ass.

J

hey bud, sorry I havent gotten back to you, its been a little hectic the past week, and still not over yet. I have been dealing with my step mom in the hospital, they found cancer and have been doing surgeries over the past couple weeks. I will let you know as soon as I have some free time. Just wanted to let you know, Im not ignoring you.

thanks and sorry

Shawn Fleming

Fi Car Audio Tech

Iight, its fine. Sorry to hear about your mom though. I'm sure she will come out fine. My step-dads aunt has beaten cancer 6 times.

PMs cleared... or you can email me at Scott@FiCarAudio and I can get you taken care of as well.

Thanks,

Scott

Sign in to follow this