krazzyboy44

people with Solo x experience

Plenty of people love kicker,

and you are in luck one of the best SoloX people is here, kickinaudio (Casey)

Having owned L7s, not xs I can't speak on their behalf.

I can say a lot of people love kicker, but there are about as many who feel the opposite. Kicker imo has some of the loudest subs of a mainstream brand (alpine,jl,mtx, etc), but their square solo subs lack sq, especially with any volume to them. I personally resent that to this day I can't find a damn bit of tech info on their website. Any other brand you can google xmax, etc, and find SOMETHING. They make very solid amps, and while I think the whole line up isn't bad, many people (including my brother) have had reliability issues with the subs.

I worked as an installer at CCity for a little while, and while I was there they had not just the most-but the only returns because of manufact. defects. I actually sat there and resoldered on some tinsel leads that had come loose. Literally just kept coming off on multiple L5s. They were also the loudest thing they carried, but had a higher failure rate. My brothers L7 12 started making a strange noise after only a small amount of play w/ little to no abuse.

My L7 15 worked great, and I intentionally gave the 750rms sub 1300 watts every day, cranked HARD to try to mess it up, and couldn't. It still slammed great. I was very pleased with mine, and I simply could not blow it with almost twice its rated power.

Again, I'd buy kicker stuff (especially amps) as quick as any other brand, and while I've had great experience- I've heard, and seen first hand many reliability issues with the subs.

That is why some people don't like kicker, and there are others who hate them simply because of the fact they are mainstream (stupid reason- Coke is mainstream but you drink that sh*+ like a fish don't you? or F*in folders in the morning).

kicker squares lack sq? i so love that statement. truth is, it all depends on install. put a square in a smaller sealed box and then tell me it doesn't have sq. they absolutely rock in small sealed boxes. they get stupid loud in ported boxes, but due tend to get a bit muddy.

as to solo xs. they are absolute monsters. gobble up power, respond well to just about any ported box and look cool too. i loved my s18x. loud, responsive and fairly freaking clean, considering what it is. the solo x is the ultimate mainstreme monster. big, heavy, power hungry and best of all, gives as much as it takes. i can't wait to hear the dodge ram outside when it finally gets it's pair of s12xs off the t3000d. nasty.

and we have had very few issues with any kicker square sub. and the issues we have had all involve customer abuse. our memphis stuff fails at a 3:1 rate, amps, subs or otherwise.

and kicker has proven themselves to be some of the best supporters to competitors in the business. and to dealers. they provide a quality product at a reasonable cost.

i do agree about one thing with tej though. people who don't like kicker typically don't like them because they are mainstreme.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

They are the Jeff Gordon of audio brands..

What exactly are your questions?

The Solox has won world SQ titles, you simply cannot argue with that.

They are the Jeff Gordon of audio brands..

Over marketed, whiney redneck, who drives in a circle? :P

Popular, strong backing (financially, engineering, designers), well established, record breaking, innovative, great marketing.

disliked, and love by many.

Popular, strong backing (financially, engineering, designers), well established, record breaking, innovative, great marketing.

disliked, and love by many.

I know just being a goof. ;)

kicker squares lack sq? i so love that statement. truth is, it all depends on install. put a square in a smaller sealed box and then tell me it doesn't have sq. they absolutely rock in small sealed boxes. they get stupid loud in ported boxes, but due tend to get a bit muddy.

I understand a small sealed box with medium power will sound good, but the solo-xs should be ported by definition as an spl woofer imo. Like you said as the solobarics are ported and get cranked up they start to sound a little muddy. Not like crap, but not beautiful either. AGAIN that's my experience with their L7s/L5s ported. For my personal (spl oriented) tastes I am more than content, but I have had others complain. I'm not trying to debate their performance, just try to help by sharing my experience.

I agree memphis has terrible failure rate, but like I said I saw a half dozen L5s in one month that had the leads just come loose from the terminal-which is not from abuse but faulty on Kickers part. A little solder and they were good to go again. I abused the bejesus out of mine, and I had no problems.

I like kicker, and would buy from them in the future, I was just trying to give as unbiased an oppinion as possible. I know that they give great dealer prices, and had I not already purchased my 2 memphis 4ks I would have bought 4 kicker 2500s for cheaper (with dealer price) but oh well.

Edited by tejcurrent

Personally, I love the 8L7 sealed with 400ish watts. But it is a different beast from the SoloX.