Sign in to follow this  
turtles1118

Amp - Plate or rack mount

Just got me a M-5 MJ-18 4 ohm, and was looking for a new or used amp to put to it and was wondering what kind, plat or rack mount. I like the rack more for the fact that im not committed to just the sub and can use it on my speakers instead if i wish. Just trying to get some ideas, brands and prices are a plus.

Thanks,

Aron G.

turtles1118

For rackmount amps...QSC and Crown would be my first two choices.

Plate amps are great if you want to stay under 500W - over that, the value of rack amps takes over.

Couldn't agree more with Jim. What's your budget looking like? Truthfully, you can probably do most of your browsing on www.partsexpress.com - they deal QSC (great rack amps) and have their own line of affordable plate amplifiers.

Couldn't agree more with Jim. What's your budget looking like? Truthfully, you can probably do most of your browsing on www.partsexpress.com - they deal QSC (great rack amps) and have their own line of affordable plate amplifiers.

A bout 200 bucks right now till next pay check, and i was hopping to stay around 500-700 watts but with room to upgrade with another MJ-18 and take it to 2 or 8 ohm load.

But, with a rack amp do i need to get any thing special or can you just go straight to the sub?

Edited by turtles1118

You need some sort of crossover to make sure that the sub isn't getting a full range signal from the source...Harrison Labs makes FMOD inline crossovers (PE also stocks these), or you can buy an adjustable one.

You need some sort of crossover to make sure that the sub isn't getting a full range signal from the source...Harrison Labs makes FMOD inline crossovers (PE also stocks these), or you can buy an adjustable one.

Thank you, but what am i looking for hear, first setup like this, Ive used plate amps up until now and im trying to steep my game up, [ I HATE MY NEIGHBORS ] but not just for them, for me of course. I don't know much at all about Hz, like when should the subs end and mids pick up, and the mids end and the highs pick up, getting vary confused hear. A little help can go a long way.

Thanks

Aron G.

turtles1118

The point where the sub crosses over to the main speakers is going to depend on the low frequency extension of your mains, it's going to vary from speaker to speaker and room to room.

Crossover points are speaker and design-dependent, there's no hard and fast rule...

oh wow, that is a pretty good deal!

Thanks.

Althought I already have 2 300s... haha

oh wow, that is a pretty good deal!

Thanks.

Althought I already have 2 300s... haha

Ok, Well this is what im working with right now

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/product...mp;CTID=5002900

http://www.epinions.com/Kenwood_VR_6050_A_...eiver_Receivers

https://www.avguide.com/products/product-924/

and a Technics SH-8046 Stereo Graphic Equalizer

and now a MJ-18.

Room size is about 2,400 sqf.

If this helps at all

Edited by turtles1118

There is a 500w Bash Digital Plate Amp over at CSo for $100.00. That is a good starting point,

Thats not a bad deal on the bash 500, but looking in to rack mount more and more and looks more like what i want. thanks tho

One warning on the rack mounts, a lot of them have fans that make me want to put them in a different room. I have never seen a plate amp with that problem though.

One warning on the rack mounts, a lot of them have fans that make me want to put them in a different room. I have never seen a plate amp with that problem though.

True, but i thought that the point was to have it loud enough to dround the fan out, just kidding, but you do make a good point.

I also want to git rid of the Receiver that i have now for another amp.