Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

My Free L7's

So a buddy of mine gave me his 2 L7's and an amp (that shall not be named as I fear I would be stoned to death). He told me the l7's didn't work but I took them anyways.

L7s.jpg

L7Burnt.jpg

You can see where there was a little melting going on.

For the first sub I tested each voice coil and only one coil worked. The coil that didn't work is pictured above

I haven't tested the second sub but the only thing noticably wrong is one of the wires is disconnected on the positive voice coil, which I will solder(sp?) back together.

Both the subs move freely by hand and I really don't see anything visibly wrong (except for what is mentioned above). I have never owned a sub so I really don't know what goes wrong with them. What I do know is the prevous owner didn't know his stuff either, which is why they are like this in the first place. Is there any hope for them?

Edited by MKader17

another mans garbage is another's treasure.

plus a recone is always cheaper than buying a new sub

those look like the 04 model L7s... I don't think they have anymore softparts for them... but you can give kicker a call and check with them

They are 04's. I got the other one working today. I was going to get myself a 10 for some SQ but I'm thinking about just building a ported box for this and having some fun with it. Do you know where I can get some specs for this sub RMS and recomended boxes? its a dual 2 voice coil configuration.