Sign in to follow this  
TribeamConnek

Ported Enclosure

I have been building boxes for sometime and I notice that a lot of boxes have the same concept but are built a little different. When I build a ported box for two subs I normally direct the air out of the front (depending on the application) of the enclosure with a divider between both chambers. I have seen some enclosures with no divider coming out of the front, just a big hole. Does adding or taking away a divider give off a different sound? I also add one in the middle just to make the box more rigid. I am building two ported boxes for a van. Would it be better to port it in the front like I have been doing or to go another way. I would think that by porting it out the back I wouldn't get gain in bass do to the distance that it would have to travel to reach the front of the van.( gain from the port that is)

I personally wouldn't use a divider as any fluctuations in your drivers will be averaged out if they share the same airspace. As for the port, that is going to be very install dependent on what works best. Where are you putting the box?

I personally wouldn't use a divider as any fluctuations in your drivers will be averaged out if they share the same airspace. As for the port, that is going to be very install dependent on what works best. Where are you putting the box?

Fi BL 15

I would think that by porting it out the back I wouldn't get gain in bass do to the distance that it would have to travel to reach the front of the van.( gain from the port that is)

Nope.

You get reinforcement from the port no matter how large the airspace is...

Fi BL 15

You mean like adding a balancing pipe on your exhaust or some call it an H-pipe. If so I see what you are saying.

I would think that by porting it out the back I wouldn't get gain in bass do to the distance that it would have to travel to reach the front of the van.( gain from the port that is)

Nope.

You get reinforcement from the port no matter how large the airspace is...

Cool. The reason I said that is because I initially planned to get 8 15's, but I just went with four after finding out when I was moving and I had all my speakers in there. It turns out the one facing the front didn't really add and bass. The speakers just moved. And I didn't wanna just saying that I had 8 15's when four of them were actually making the bass. I kinda thought I wouldn't get any bass because I tried that with my first system. In order for me to get bass that way I would have to build a wall behind the seat. I don't wanna do that.