sundownz

SAE-1000D Power Testing

I clamped the SAE-1000D on my bench setup:

Pyramid 50 Amp Power Supply

Kinetik 2400 Battery

Duralast 1000 CA Battery

Fluke AC current / voltage meter

Sears DMM

Test load used was 2x SI Mag D2 12" all coils in parallel for 0.6 DCR with a rise to 1.08 ohms.

Voltage = 32.19 Volts

Current = 34.6 Amps

Supply = 14.4v rest dropping to 12.5 volts

Power = 1113 Watts

I know I had alot of people asking about this, so there it is!

I thought you said this amp does 1000 watts on the dot? So what's up with the extra 100?

Seriously...this amp is a great deal, even at MSRP.

I just got mine yesterday.

Thanks for the test, can't wait to check it out.

They are very nice amps. I have installed a couple of them. I have heard them on 2 kicker l7 12's in an explorer. 2 10" RE SE's in a blazer. Then we hooked it up to one solo x in the same blazer. All I can say is LOUD!!!!! For those not planning on competing a great amp to have. Just enough to tickle the hell out of your ears. ( Well in a SUV never heard one out of a trunk) I have one for my 300 but have not installed it.

How effecient is the 1000D , I am wondering if I could run 2 off a stock electrical. 86% a 4 ohms, what is it at 1 ohm?

Edited by UNIT 6639

I have not yet measured efficiency as my Fluke clamp does not do DC current... once I get a few more important things taken care of at Sundown a more advanced clamp is on my list.

Efficiency is quite good... but 2,000 watts on stock electrical is asking a bit much, don't you think? :)

Test load used was 2x SI Mag D2 12" all coils in parallel for 0.6 DCR with a rise to 1.08 ohms.

Power = 1113 Watts

I have a question on this part. I just got a SAE-1000D from theabunai and I'm going to hook it up to a single SI Mag D2 12" once I complete my new box. Above, you have a pair of Mags wired to 0.5 ohms to get the 1 ohm power from the amp. Should I assume with just a single Mag wired to 1 ohm will actually get me about 1.5 ohm or something and not get 1000 Watts?

Thanks

Edited by king alpha

Power = 1113 Watts

I have a question on this part. I just got a SAE-1000D from theabunai and I'm going to hook it up to a single SI Mag D2 12" once I complete my new box. Above, you have a pair of Mags wired to 0.5 ohms to get the 1 ohm power from the amp. Should I assume with just a single Mag wired to 1 ohm will actually get me about 1.5 ohm or something and not get 1000 Watts?

Thanks

Every amplifier on the market is rated at an "actual" load -- so that will apply for any amplifier you purchase regardless of brand. But yes, that means that on average your impedance is greater than 1 ohm and on average you get less than 1000 watts from the amplifier. Regardless, the SAE-1000D is a great match for your SI Mag and is plenty of power -- they do not require tons of power to sound great, I've ran them with as little as 250 watts and loved them :)

I used a 1/2 ohm nominal load as I can predictably get a load of almost exactly 1 ohm at the right frequency in my test box to measure power in a repeatable manner.

Power = 1113 Watts

Thanks

Every amplifier on the market is rated at an "actual" load -- so that will apply for any amplifier you purchase regardless of brand. But yes, that means that on average your impedance is greater than 1 ohm and on average you get less than 1000 watts from the amplifier. Regardless, the SAE-1000D is a great match for your SI Mag and is plenty of power -- they do not require tons of power to sound great, I've ran them with as little as 250 watts and loved them :)

I used a 1/2 ohm nominal load as I can predictably get a load of almost exactly 1 ohm at the right frequency in my test box to measure power in a repeatable manner.

This amp looks like it would be perfect for my needs if I decide to make a move on an AA Havoc 12. Thanks for the info.

How effecient is the 1000D , I am wondering if I could run 2 off a stock electrical. 86% a 4 ohms, what is it at 1 ohm?

I would also like to know how efficient the 1000D is at 1 ohm since it only does full power at 1 ohm not 4.

so should this get movied to the sundown technical? even though this is a discontinued amp?

Sign in to follow this