Sign in to follow this  
tejcurrent

BTL 18 box

Someone with a lot of experience might be able to tell me what the results of my plans could be?

I really don't want to make another huge box a month or so from now, and wood is expensive, so I was planning on building a 20cube box @ 32hz for my 2 btls 18s I have now. In another month or so I plan on getting another 2 btls, which I could simply cut 2 more holes for them and use the same box. does this sound reasonable? I'm sure the first two subs would be OK with that much space, but will there be any real negative effects to doing this? I know there will be a slight change to the specs after the displacement from the subs, but it will only be around 1/2 a foot. Thanks a lot.

Troy

Edited by tejcurrent

Its a reasonable thing to do... knowing that you will gain some overall efficiency with the "huge" box for the pair of subs but loose some mechanical ability at the same time. Should make for an interesting comparisson once you drop the other subs in. Are you getting 2 more amps as well?

Thanks,

Scott

Its a reasonable thing to do... knowing that you will gain some overall efficiency with the "huge" box for the pair of subs but loose some mechanical ability at the same time. Should make for an interesting comparisson once you drop the other subs in. Are you getting 2 more amps as well?

Thanks,

Scott

I figured I could meter the subs as-is in the new vehicle with the old boxes, then see what difference the over-sized box would make with how they meter, and how they sound on music. And again the difference meter wise and sound wise with around 5ft each, and see how they sound.

I was thinking that 250 prize money would be a great discount towards a BTL, and I could throw in a bit more for a second BTL to make an even number, since 3 subs has always felt a little awkward to me. (and the theoretical 3dbs didn't sound as nice as 6).

I would've already bought the two more subs if I wasn't running into a problem with the amps. I will be getting two more amps, but I really want to find some discounted/used ones to help the budget. I've seen several people selling two for the price of one new, ~600 each, I just want to find someone within 500 miles so I can pick them up to prevent getting scammed again :(

My ultimate goal is 4 btls with 4 amps, tuned low for a great daily 155db+ on music vehicle.

Thanks for your input. I was wondering also, should I order from you through email because of the prize, or just go through paypal as normal? I emailed you before, but it was around the time you went on vacation and I know you've lost a lot to the spam filters. If you prefered email, my address is tejcurrent@yahoo.com.

Thanks again.

Edited by tejcurrent

OK, so the subs are on their way, and I still haven't started the box sooo they will be getting 5ft each, and I simply wont have time to experiment. I got a newer vehicle a few weeks ago, and decided to wait to build it for this tahoe. Thanks for everything scott, including the tour and the lift :D (BTW, the cab company called over an hour later :Doh: )

The box will be tuned to 37hz, but with the port a few inches within of the rear door so I expect the tuning to drop some, and I'll have interchangable ports so if I need to tune lower I can. I'll just have to wait to see how it sounds.

There is a 3x event near by the 25th, so I'm going to see if I can't be ready by then (build wise anyway). I don't plan to crank it up much until the stock alternators come in, but at least I'll have an idea of what's in it.

I have the amps in, but I just haven't had time to build the box. Just did a little cardboard stencil to make sure everything will fit, and it's good to go.

I'll post a link to the build section in this thread later in the week when I have some work done and some pics up.

OK, so the subs are on their way, and I still haven't started the box sooo they will be getting 5ft each, and I simply wont have time to experiment. I got a newer vehicle a few weeks ago, and decided to wait to build it for this tahoe. Thanks for everything scott, including the tour and the lift :D (BTW, the cab company called over an hour later :Doh: )

The box will be tuned to 37hz, but with the port a few inches within of the rear door so I expect the tuning to drop some, and I'll have interchangable ports so if I need to tune lower I can. I'll just have to wait to see how it sounds.

There is a 3x event near by the 25th, so I'm going to see if I can't be ready by then (build wise anyway). I don't plan to crank it up much until the stock alternators come in, but at least I'll have an idea of what's in it.

I have the amps in, but I just haven't had time to build the box. Just did a little cardboard stencil to make sure everything will fit, and it's good to go.

I'll post a link to the build section in this thread later in the week when I have some work done and some pics up.

It will be interesting to see the difference the box-size makes in spl. I am gonna do 2 18" btl's in 10 cubes net myself (right now, I've got one in a seven cube box and it slaaams!), and I was wondering how they would pound with a "smallish" box. Keep us posted! -Thx.

Thanks. It's really a simple design. CRX style, 240sq of port, 20ft, rectangular. I'll have a beveled trim plate, but again, nothing fancy.

Thanks jybfan, Honestly I'd be happy if I got lower numbers than planned as long as it sounds like I want on music, but that's why I'll make sure I can change the tuning if I'm not happy.

Today I got the top pieces, bottom, and the sides cut out. Tomarrow I plan on cutting the back, front piece, and putting in the bracing. Time permitting I'll fiberglass it, or I'll have to wait till wednesday. Then I'll make the port, and maybe carpet it, not sure of what would look good. I have a trim plate going on, but it will go in last. It will stretch to cover the box itself, the amps, and act as a theft deterant because it will be almost a foot wider than the rear cargo area door (and you can't twist the box once in place because it's so tight), and will have to be removed before getting the seat out. That'll take a good bit of time and some special tools ;)

I didn't get any pics because I was just cutting wood, but once things start going together I'll bust out the camera.

Edited by tejcurrent

Glad you made it back. How was the Blue Man Group show?

It was a pleasure meeting you and your brother... take the images of the tiny little Fi cave with you to the grave ;) Its all smoke and mirrors on the forums...lol

Glad you made it back. How was the Blue Man Group show?

It was a pleasure meeting you and your brother... take the images of the tiny little Fi cave with you to the grave ;) Its all smoke and mirrors on the forums...lol

Thanks, the show was pretty interesting. The music makes me think of techno mixed with Tool or something, but it was interesting to see them play music on PVC, and some of the skits were pretty good. It was an experience, and everyone seemed to like it so that was good.

My brother almost missed the flight back because he put a pack of energy drinks in his carry-on, and when they asked him if he had a coke he said "one" because he also had one coke and to him that answered their question lol.... almost an hour of interrigation later he made the plane with less than 10 minutes to spare.

Definitely was amazed that you guys are pumping so much stuff from the 'Fi cave' - it's hard to believe even seeing it in person :) Good luck with the calcium thing btw- I saw a CLR commercial that made me think of that.

Derrick, If I'm running all 4 subs off the one amp by then, great. If I'm there with one sub and one amp, that's fine too, but by god I will find a way there. Were you going? And hopefully you don't mind-- was that offer for time with your t/l still open? I'd like to here those BLs too. Thanks.

I changed the port a bit, it'll really be around 240sq at 36.13hz, soooo that's not too bad hopefully.

Edited by tejcurrent

Yeah, I'm planning on going. The only problem is my wife got scheduled to work Saturday which means I have to either find a babysitter or take my kids with me. I don't mind taking my kids to a comp but it limits my time there since they won't stay still for long. Either way I will make it and I will bring the TL. The offer is still good.

I'm working on getting the Competition Only guys to start their own form of BassRace this next season. They're all for it but the rules still have to be worked out. I'm wanting them to do spl classes like BassRace except outlaw style with doors & windows open, mic in the kick, and 60sec runs. This should really bring out the groundpounders and keep the fart machines out.

Alright, well hope to see you there. I've got two guys coming to help me today, I hope to get a lot done.

Like I said, I'll either have 1 sub or 4, so it doesn't matter.

Scott- the other two subs came in yesterday, I haven't opened them yet, but I just wanted to say thanks.

Not a problem. We definitely appeciate the business and all your help on the forum. Pics when you get things rolling :)

So as soon as I was driving in to town to get started on the build again, it starts pouring rain, and I don't have a workshop or garage to speak of soooo nothing happened.

I might just ghetto-rig the box (no fiberglass, not pretty, etc.) so I can get things running for the comp tomarrow- and then take it back out on the first day I have to finish it. I don't know what classes I'll be competing in, but with one amp I know I'll be in the 1000w truck/suv. With 4 18s I'd have a huge cone area advantage over the closest competetors with 4 15s.. so I'm going to see if I can't get a rough box in today/tomarrow morning.

Then again, I'd be at a huge power disadvantage in the 3-4sub class. Either way I'm sure it'll be fun, and being that it'll still do a hair trick all day it should be fun to play with more than anything.

I guess I'll just update tomarrow evening, either with pics of the show or those of the build. I'll find out what 4 btls with only 1/2 rms, or one btl with 2x the rms will do with no tuning. Again, it'll be fun regardless.

Looking good! Cant wait for your impressions of it when its done... we will see hoe long the mirror will last this time ;)

Looking good! Cant wait for your impressions of it when its done... we will see hoe long the mirror will last this time ;)

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. I'm more worried about the sunroof this time, I've been taking the mirror down when things start to get loud so I don't mess this car up ;) .

Just wanted to say I got things in last week. Only 3 were actually running when I went to a comp saturday- 152.6 sealed up- set a state record of 152.6. This is with only 3 batteries and stock alternator- 1 run of 1/0. I just turned things down to the point where there's maybe 1" of peak to peak excursion with each sub, and the voltage stays around 11v on drops. Even still it sounds great- 150.5+ @ 30hz.

I have a loooong way to go with the aesthetics of it, as well as the electrical upgrades. Also I'm still running stock speakers (which sound aweful btw) so those need replaced.

Vids:

th_30hz.jpg

th_DSCN0166.jpg

Wait till the last 30 seconds or so of this vid when the deep notes kick in :)

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/der...=hairtrick2.flv

Tons of work still left, but its' still fun turned down. :D

THANKS Scott!

Sign in to follow this