mpimm

Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS

Hey guys.

I'm just looking at buying the Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS and was wondering what people's opinions were on it.

Looks like a solid unit for a good price, but I just wanted some feedback/info about it before I bought it.

Thanks,

Mason

Hey guys.

I'm just looking at buying the Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS and was wondering what people's opinions were on it.

Looks like a solid unit for a good price, but I just wanted some feedback/info about it before I bought it.

Thanks,

Mason

Never used one myself, but I've seen vids and have heard nothing but great things about them.

I have one, but I have not had day light hours yet to install it. The only thing a few people have mentioned is a ground noise in the RCA's, but I have not tested mine yet.

Best bang for the buck headunit hands down IMO. The only way to really get better processing capabilities is to step up to a processor based system, but then you have to at least double your investment. I will point out that you lose a ton of functionality if you do not use the Network mode.

Awesome!

Thanks guys.

I can't seem to hear anything bad about this thing :D

Do I need to buy anything extra to use the network mode?

Edited by mpimm

The only bad thing you will read is that two owners here bought them and had some RCA noise problems right from the get go. Mine is super quiet, but the warning there is I would buy one from someplace you can return it to if you have that problem.

You don't need anything special to use Network mode other than a couple extra channels of amplification since you will have to run your front stage active to use it.

I have one and I love it I haven't had the ground noise problem either. Just using it as a reguler head unit you have quit a bit of control I can't wait to go active and see what everyone else is talking about.

i too have one, mine has no noise at all, and its my favorite HU ive owned. its got tons of settings, and network mode is awesome. plus it just looks classy IMO. doesnt have all the flash and bling like the reset of theyre line up (980bt, etc)

not to thread jack or anything but how does this compare to the DEH-P980BT because i am debating on the two i like the DEH-P980BT because of the full color and the silver on the deh p880prs does not totally go with anything in my car.

I don't want to jack this thread either, but if I were going to look for a used HU reasonable in the future with all the audiophile stuff to run active crossovers, the EQ, time alignment, etc., and I don't care about looks or brands just functionality...would this be the one to hunt for when I get the extra coin?

Are the volume/sub controls easy to use on the run?

I don't want to jack this thread either, but if I were going to look for a used HU reasonable in the future with all the audiophile stuff to run active crossovers, the EQ, time alignment, etc., and I don't care about looks or brands just functionality...would this be the one to hunt for when I get the extra coin?

As far as hunting down one goes.. in 2003 Eclipse released probably one of the most premier SQ decks ever. The CD8053.

Finding one of those would be saweet.

I prefer the 880 to any of the Eclipses. L/R eq really helps. While I would really, really love it if Pio added a Parametric Eq along with the graphic if I ahve to pick I am going with the independent l/r anyday of the week.

As far as hunting down one goes.. in 2003 Eclipse released probably one of the most premier SQ decks ever. The CD8053.

Finding one of those would be saweet.

i know where two 8053s are for sale, mine or 2kchevy's thought i haven't actually listed mine yet

Well I bought the 880 a few days ago. I hope it shows up next week.

Despite some people having noise problems, I ordered online and I'm just crossing my fingers... I saved ~$200 though...

If it has any problems, I'll try to fix them myself. Worst case scenario, I'll have to take it in to a pioneer repair facility.

Took a look at it in store and it seemed like a nice unit. Looks great, feels great. Can't wait to get my hands on it and start playing.

Thanks for the input!

i hope you don't have noise. I definitely would have bought it somewhere with a warranty. I got mine off e-bay with a warranty, popped the microfuse and got noise like a bitch. Got it replaced and just sold the new one.

I can tell you without a doubt some people will just get noise. Mine was installed correctly as was ramos's and i think he went through 2 or 3. Other lucky people don't get the noise like //m5 and i do envy him cause the 880 was a very nice unit especially for the price.

oh yea, i've also heard that the amps could have a lot to do with it though i'm not sure they would. I do know i got way more noise with my butlers than i did with the mark antony i had.

Well I live in Canada. I probably would get a US warranty from pioneer... but that doesn't do me much good.

I think I do have a warranty from the seller, but shipping costs make all that stuff pretty impractical.

I can't imagine that 2/3 of the units they sell are faulty, so hopefully if I do have any problems, it will be install stuff that I can fix, and not the unit itself.

BUT I won't know until I get the thing and throw it in... which is hopefully soon :D

I'm excited. This is my first install ever.

I'm just happy that some of the guys on here that know their stuff, and I respect, are using this HU.

it's not faulty units, it's a faulty design. I don't know the specifics but apparently they have a chitty method of grounding the rca's. there are some band aid fixes but i tried a combination of a few and the alt whine was still too much for me.

not trying to discourage you, just making sure you know what you're getting in to.

Yes, and any help is appreciated.

So thanks.

But I guess all I can do now is install it and hope for the best haha.

just make sure your amp grounds are spectacular. I found that changing mine to a better spot helped(instead of the ass of my car where there's the greatest potential for a ground loop).

Sounds like the old days when Pioneer had the lowest voltage outputs of anyone. We used to put all kinds of filters and caps on the power wires. I think the old cars had more noise though.

Yea. You guys have me a little scared haha.

I have been reading up on grounding and noise reduction.

I ordered some MB quart speakers today. The polks I wanted were on backorder...

So I'll have the 880. The quarts. I have a sundown SAE-1000D and... because of space... I have 2 boxes. One with 2 MAW-10s and the other with 2 MAW-15s.

That way I'll have the 15s in most of the time, and if I take a trip or something, and need more space, I will throw in the 10s instead. :D

880 = DIY or go home

I'm SO happy to have no box in my car, I need the room and have missed having the thunder of IB subs for a long time. Once they are done I'll try 8s and 1" in front, maybe after that I will get a new HU. Well thats the plan anyway, who knows.

I have Boston comps, they sound good but not sure if they are great as I remember the last set was long ago...but my mounting placement is not great either, they are too low. Still think I can't get enough midbass out of them anyway.

Haha. Slow down here guys.

The mb quarts are just so I won't have to listen to my stock system anymore. It hurts my ears to turn on my stereo haha.

I plan to go active when I get some time to do all of that, but it looks like a bit of work that I don't have time for yet...

I have a bunch of Mach 5 MLI-65s. Any ideas on tweets??

I was thinking Seas 27TAFNC/G or Seas 27TFFNC/G.

They will need to cross around 2500 or so I imagine.