Sign in to follow this  
josephk

Ported design for single 15" Q

I'm looking for someone (Scott? Nick? Just anyone that knows what they're doing) to help me get together a box design (cut sheets, etc)...

I plan on running the Q for a little while in a sealed box I built that is right at 2.6 cubes (after sub displacement), but want to build a ported box later so it will hit the lows better. I have no problem with building it, that is easy for me, I just need a good design that is tuned to a certain Hz. I want it to sound good, but be louder from the outside than it will be sealed. Would 32 Hz be a good "middle of the road" tune?

The box is going to go in the floor of an ext. cab '01 silverado (still has the backseat, just leaving it up- I could even get some brackets to raise the back seat a few inches...). The sub is going to be powered by a JBL GTO 1201.1 II. I would like it not to have to be extended onto the channel (hump) that runs down the middle of the cab, as I would have to move the amp, which is mounted there now. The max outside dimensions , at least with the amp staying at its current location, would be 22" x 22" x however tall it needs be. Anyway, anyone that can help me out getting a cut sheet and such together just contact me. Thanks a lot for any help/suggestions.

Joseph K.

2.6 cuft will work well sealed. Itll have a nice response and natural sound with a little punch to it.

As for ported, 4 cuft at 32 will have 5-6 more dB of output from 30-50 hz. The only issue I see is the amp doesnt have a subsonic filter and you will have no protection when playing songs that have frequencies under tuning. A ported enclosure has no control below its tuning frequency and the sub will act like it is in free air at that point.

22" X 22" X 24" with a port that is 3" X 20.5" (inside dimension of enclosure) and is 30" long. This nets you 4 cuft tuned to 32 Hz.

Sign in to follow this