Sign in to follow this  
bvapor2004

12" RL-P vs. 12" FI-Q

RL-P vs. FI Q  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better for SQ?

• RL-P
    • FI-Q

I need help. Im looking for 60% SQ 40% SPL. I want it to get loud but still sound good. Which is better for this. I was looking at a cadence txa-1000d and a sundown sae-1000d amp. From what i have read most people pick sundown hands down. Would ~650 watts push a soundsplinter hard because it says 500-1000k rms on the website. I'm open to suggestions on amps. I'm just trying to figure out which is a better sq sub at the moment. And this would probably go in a ported box ~1.5 cubes @ low 30's.

Personally, I liked the Q more...

Im looking for 60% SQ 40% SPL.

Just FYI, SQ & SPL when comparing these two drivers is enclosure dependent and hardly the driver. And of course they are directly proportional to opposite quantities in their boxes, meaning that you will be compromising between the two. While you can have a 60/40 compromise, it is a compromise.

Both are good drivers, both will do well with 1000 watts from the Sundown. I have experience with both and like both, but they have a slightly different sound from each other.

I'd go for the Cadence amp definately. And the subs I have no experience with.

-C

You have experience with Sundown & Cadence then?

i really like the look of the soundsplinter however it only comes in dual2 and 4 which means the sae-1000 would only put out 600 watts in the dual2. the q comes in 1 ohm which makes it more price practical when it comes to amps for me.

wow neon haha thanks for the reply. im new to car audio. ive been running a cvr off of a clarion amp for a while but its just not loud enough for me and it doesnt have great sq. would i use 0 guage on the install or 4 guage. i only have little experience in electrical. wiring my own foglights and installing speakers which is simple also a headunit in my friends car. i'd really like to learn how to install sub/amp on my own.

I think you're mistaken...wiring a DVC 2 ohm driver results in either a 1 ohm load in parallel or 4 ohms in series, having a dual 1 ohm driver won't get you anything as I'm not sure I'd want to run the SAE below 1 ohm, and you can only wire it to 1/2 or 2 ohms in that configuration.

To me, the Q is a more natural sounding sub, but you can't really go wrong with either sub.

ugh i'm still torn between the two. is 1000rms too much for the rl-p. would i have to set my gains very conservitavely where on the q i could be alittle more open with them

No issues with the JL 1000 on my Rlp. I can't say that I am a bass heavy listener, but mine hasn't even ever audibly complained and most definitely has never smelled. More output than I need by far. My gain knob is set to be able to deliver 1000w when I want. My system has a very strong SQ focus.

Both are good drivers, both will do well with 1000 watts from the Sundown. I have experience with both and like both, but they have a slightly different sound from each other.

not to hijack but

could you expand a little more. i am looking at getting new sub(s) in the near future and both subs are on my list. any info would be great.

Edited by rjajmr0221

not to hijack but

could you expand a little more. i am looking at getting new sub(s) in the near future and both subs are on my list. any info would be great.

I own an RL-p, so I have more experience with it based on that alone. It seems to have a good number of fans and a few people that have mixed emotions. I feel it is a strong sub that does not need gobs of power and has nice excursion and response all the way across the sub sonic range for my tastes, having a very thick presence to its sound. I do like the TC-9 motored drivers and the RL-p really seems to shine in low tuned ported boxes, in both output and SQ.

The Q, in my experience was more of a smooth driver then the RL-p, kind of a more mellow sound. Very strong output in both ported and sealed. Seems to have a higher wattage limit then the RL-p, and has some customization from the build house. The Q seems to have a little crisper and lighter sound then the RL-p.

I feel both have good strengths and it is a coin toss in the end. I think that 90% of the people out there will be very happy with either.