Sign in to follow this  
Audio Junkies

Supertweet in JimJ's gallery....

It's on a Pioneer HPM-150 speaker.

They're nothing amazing, but IMO it was an OK speaker for just enjoying the music. Did Pink Floyd well :)

OMG! I thought I would never see another one of those! :D

I had the liberty of ripping one apart many, many moons ago. I will try to describe it:

- The clear plastic "waveguide" is composed of a series of plastic bevels attached to a plastic frame which aid in "radiating" the "ultra high frequencies" the "supertweeter" produced. It comes off as one piece.

- That exposes the "transducer". It was composed of a plastic bobbin about two inches round covered with a thin black porous foam. This bobbin stood approx. 3" tall.

- Wrapped around the foam was the "special diaphram", a piece of aluminum-like foil. This foil was a bit thicker than the foil you would get at the store.

- The special diaphram had two wires connected to it. These wires were then connected to the "specially optimized crossover", which consisted of 0 parts - nothing - nada.

It did produce sound though, but its output was extremely small. Probably because the frequencies were so high a simple mortal like myself could barely here them. It was a real seller for the model. I *think* they went for ~$2500...

And Jim, how the heck do/did you know the model number of the thing???!

And Jim, how the heck do/did you know the model number of the thing???!

Because I heard them in person? :D